Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Graphics cards (for 3 displays)

• Please log in to reply

JButts15

JButts15

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there!

I'm currently having a problem trying to run two graphics cards at the same time. The two cards I have are a Radeon x800 XL PCIE and Radeon 9250 PCI. I purchased the 9250 simply for its TV-Out capability. I currently have the other card hooked up to dual monitors. What I am trying to do is add a TV as my third display, preferably with an extended desktop.

What is happening is that I cannot get the two cards to co-operate together. I only get the two monitors if I choose to boot the x800 from my BIOS, and only the TV if I choose to boot the 9250. Other guides that I have read said that it is possible to change which boots first, however, I only have the option of booting one or the other. Is there a way to run them both at the same time?

When I visited This link a user was trying to do something very similar and said that by making two BIOS changes, he was able to get his setup working: 1. I had to turn on the option "Allow PCI VGA card to request IRQ"; and 2. I had to set the BIOS to use the PCI card as the first video card.

Is there something similar I can do?

PC Specs:

Gateway GT5014
2GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

I also called the ATI tech support to ask this same question, though the person I spoke with wouldn't give me a recommendation, she did say that she didn't think the 9250 would work for what I was trying to do. Is there another that would, however, without having to buy a Crossfire compatible one? Other guides that I have read said that I do not need SLI or Crossfire cards.

I get the message: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) when either card is booted up.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Graphics Cards are not designed for this, the computer is only able to work with one card or the other, rarely both (the only real exception to this rule is some boards with onboard graphics and a separate card where the onboard has to be switched off manually to stop it appearing in Windows).

You can have as many cards in your computer as you like, but its only going to be able to use one of them at a time. Most cards can output to two monitors with no problems but most cannot do more than that. In theory it should be possible to do this with a Crossfire solution, but whether it would actually work or not I don't know.

Your other problem is, its a Gateway. They will probably have removed the options you need to get it working from the BIOS in order to cut down on people who fiddle with them and then phone Gateway up saying "it don't work" and "I didn't do nothing" in that order.

As for Code 43, this is caused by incorrect drivers. It may also be caused by the presence of two video cards in the computer fighting over the same driver.