Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

http://asecuritypaper.com/

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hello Wayne

No problem, do it tomorrow and let me know also how is the computer running :whistling:

Regards,

Advertisements

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
Hi SNOWHITE,

I have four Java 5’s in add and remove, think thay are al updates for the same program but not sure, should I leave them or ?.

Done everything else and went ok.

Wayne

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hello Wayne :whistling:

I have four Java 5’s in add and remove, think thay are al updates for the same program but not sure, should I leave them or ?

The latest update you need is java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 11, so you can install the latest version and after that uninstall all older java versions from Add/Remove programs.

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

You can follow the steps from my post about Updating Java and Clearing Cache

Also please let me know is the computer running well and do you still have any problems with it. Your logs are looking clean :blink:

Regards,

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
Hi there SNOWHITE,

Done all you say and everything seems fine, from what you helped me get rid of, however a few months ago, my slide side or bar on side of computer just stated to move up and down on it’s own, but since then nothing, but it did it today twice for over a minute, did it on the internet, in Word and Outlook Express, could this be a hacker, I have a fire walled router, Windows firewall and Kaspersky ???

Sorry to be more of a bother, hey seen your photo in your profile, you really are SNOWHITE.

Wayne

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hello Wayne :blink:

Done all you say and everything seems fine, from what you helped me get rid of, however a few months ago, my slide side or bar on side of computer just stated to move up and down on it’s own, but since then nothing, but it did it today twice for over a minute, did it on the internet, in Word and Outlook Express, could this be a hacker, I have a fire walled router, Windows firewall and Kaspersky ???

I don't see anything malware related in your logs, so i will ask you to post in the Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT forum, in your post please include the link from this thread, so the expert that will be helping you, can see what we have done so far. Also please let me know when you post in the forum so i can inform the tech expert about your post.

Next, let's clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

The following is a list of tools that I recommend to people for better protections and preventing from re-infecting of the computer.
  • SpywareBlaster - Helps preventing spyware from installing in the first place.
  • SpywareGuard - To catch and block spyware before it can execute.
  • IESpy-Ad - Blocks access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
  • MVPS Hosts file - The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Home Edition (free version) – Another effective program for helping remove some of the more difficult infections
  • More Secure Browser - Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend Firefox, and Opera
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
Also see So how did I get infected in the first place?

Sorry to be more of a bother, hey seen your photo in your profile, you really are SNOWHITE.

You are not bothering me, and thank you for your kind words. By the way my name is really Snowhite
translated in english :whistling:

Let me know when you post at the Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT forum!

Regards,

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Check Turn off System Restore.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

Hi SNOWHITE,

My system restore is always off, as I can not use that with Kaspersky.

Will now post in the other form you sugested.

Wayne

Edited by waynegr, 08 March 2007 - 03:36 PM.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.