Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

harddrive

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright i got here a 80gig seagate hdd i got from a friend, he said it came out of a working pc. when i go to install windows, when windows starts to format the hdd it errors at around 20% says hdd is damaged, i have tried this several times but yet to no avail. i am not formating it in windows and is at 37%, if this doesnt work any ideas? what could be wrong? im not much on harddrives although i like to take appart the 1/2gig ones for the magnets

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this, then use the default, not quick format option when you install windows

If this reports errors then it probably is a defective drive

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Go here and download the seatools utilities from seagate and run them to fin out if the drive has gone bad.

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

SRX660

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright, i downloaded the floppy version. as soon as the format is complete (or errors) ill make a floppy and boot with it to test. ill post back (71%)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Autonuke could be 3 - 4 hours for an 80GB drive

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Run this, then use the default, not quick format option when you install windows

If this reports errors then it probably is a defective drive

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

yea i already have that on a cd from last time you recommended it because the 15 gig wouldnt install windows remember :whistling:

also for my 15gig it took 1 1/2 hrs so i figure aroung 7 1/2 hr for the 80gig
(83%)

Edited by AnthonyJ, 20 February 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it install then?

Is this drive in the same computer

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Did it install then?

Is this drive in the same computer

yes it installed then, this is the same cpu and psu, otherwise everything thats system crucial is new
(90%)

Edited by AnthonyJ, 20 February 2007 - 05:30 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The seagate tools may have two options, one which is too quick to be believed IMO, and another write zeros to drive full which will take an while

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
well i figure when its done formating ill use windows error checking, try the seagate floppy or try reinstall windows for [bleep] of it. (99%)

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ok done formatting, ran disk check didnt bring any errors up. so what should i try, use the seagate tool, or try to install again for the heck of it? also i did check what it was installing to last ime and everytime before, it says c: partition1 raw1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it were me, because the install reported errors, I would either use seagate write zeros full option, or boot and nuke

It adds hours, though you could let them run overnight

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
it found 4 errors in the first 13% and thats it. tried installing windows (didnt format this time) starts installing setup files, then goes to a steady stream of cannot copy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is that after seagate or boot and nuke

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Is that after seagate or boot and nuke

after seagate, i will probably run nuke tonight. but my friend said he will exchange me one with another. if he can find another