Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I not use the provided modem?

• Please log in to reply

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dear All,

I'm stationed in Korea. They have internet here. The Koreans will come into your barracks room and just hook up their crappy DACOM modem and hook you up and you're online. He just checks to make sure the connection is established and then leaves. I've been having issues---and frankly, for $41 a month, I feel I'm being raped because it is 'CABLE' service at slower than 'DSL' speed. A) If I buy a Linksys cable modem, will it work and B) Will the speed increase if it does? My internet has been sputtering lately, and if you think you have any better ideas, please let me know, i'm at a loss--it keeps getting stuck on the 'looking up...' address message and then times out, then if I click refresh the page loads fine. I am also getting stuck when I play my online games. About every 10 minutes, like clock-work, the game freezes and I have to disconnect, wait for it to time out, and then reconnect. It is very annoying.

Any ideas? I've been so frustrated. Thanks guys

-Kevin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first....thanks for taking care of our country (or your country if you're not american) :whistling:

second...as to the llinksys cable modem....you would need to talk to "them" about that....USUALLY the cable modem needs to be provisioned on the ISP's system so that it knows who you are so that you can be billed etc...i DOUBT that the modem is the cause for the slowness...but it might be....depending on where in korea you are...the infrastructure might not really be up to the task of providing internet ability.....they may have certain bandwidth caps etc...but that said...if they've given you the worst modem on the planet...it could slow things down....worth a question if you can get in contact with someone who can communicate well with you

the unreliability may be related to the "crappyness" of their infrastructure...or possibly due to bandwidth caps...or the crappy modem...it's hard to trouble shoot such a thing remotely...let alone in another country...once again...if you can get your hands on someone that can speak well with you...they might have answers

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you for your response!

I am serving our(the US) military over here.. lol

I emailed the tech support for the company and they basically said it was hit or miss if I get another modem.

But ok, thank you for your advice!