Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window defender error message

• Please log in to reply

donr53

donr53

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I can't update the definitions for windows defender get error code 0x80240029 I have window vista home premium. it is new computer. How do I fix this Thanks in advance Don

Edited by donr53, 20 February 2007 - 11:42 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
error code 0x80240029 = WU_E_INVALID_PRODUCT_LICENSE - A product with an invalid license was found on the system.

Try running the system file checker:

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Can you tell me how to get to the run prompt in this new windows vista? I knew where it was in xp Thanks again don

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry, I did link it above, but it wasn't very clear. Here it is:
http://www.geekstogo...or-t146674.html

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ran sfc /scannow it said that it found some corrupt files but could not fix them all i found the log file , but don't understand it. Windows defender still won't update definitions. the definition s files are from 7/13/06. What else can be done Thanks Don

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Can you post the log file?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Its in note pad , I select select all and did control c , but when I get here and do control v it doesn't print. what am I doing wrong. Don explorer quit twice while I was trying to do this.

Edited by donr53, 21 February 2007 - 07:42 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's take a step back. Was this an upgrade or a clean installation? We're there any errors during the install?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
This is a new dell computer It arrived on Feb 14th It is suppose to be a clean install, but I could suspect anything. I had chatted with dell about this problem with no sucess, He first said from his records it showed that I had a dell 521 with xp, and I correct him ,and he said o yes, I now see that it was a clean install with vista. That all I can tell you Thanks Don It could have been ,an unsold computer with xp, that they changed to vista when it came out.

Agent (Dilpreet_01148890): "As per the records with me you have a Dimension E521 , with Windows XP installed as an operating system on it. Am I correct?"
02/20/2007 07:16:09PM Donald: "no windows vista home preium"
02/20/2007 07:17:25PM Agent (Dilpreet_01148890): "Okay, so we have a Dimension E521 , with Windows Vista home premium installed as an operating system on it. Am I correct?"
02/20/2007 07:17:54PM : "this is a new computer I hope it didn't have xp on it then upgraded"
02/20/2007 07:18:18PM : "yes"
02/20/2007 07:18:33PM Agent (Dilpreet_01148890): "I see from my records that we have a clean install for vista. I apologize for my mistake."
02/20/2007 07:18:53PM Donald : "ok"

Edited by donr53, 22 February 2007 - 02:59 PM.

Yellowknife Cat

Yellowknife Cat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

This is my first time in a computer chat place and I am having the same problem with the Windows Vista Premium on my new computer (2 weeks old). Keep getting the 0x80240029 error code. Tried the sfc /scannow and got the same message as the other guy - namely corrupt file founs but unable to fix some of them. This is really frustrating! If you can help that would be GREAT! :whistling:

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Here is what worked for me finally. I got it out of a dell chat community.
I seem to have hit on something. I shutoff windows auto update, and unchecked the box to get updates from microsoft for other products, and put windows defender as an exception in windows fire wall, then checked for updates. It seems to have worked. Now all I have to do is figure out, what of the three corrected the problem, because I did them all at once. Hope this helps. It took sometime in the chats to finally come up with something that worked..

Yellowknife Cat

Yellowknife Cat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, my fried. It worked! I then put the automatic updates on again. Let's hope that Micorsoft works out a solution to this problem.

Also, I was getting a Sonic Solutions DLAnot compatible message too. This turned out to be the Drag-to-disc component of the Roxio burner. Just uninstall that component and you will no longer get that message. Of course, you will have also lost the drag-to-disk component. However, I am assuming that Roxio will have an update shortly.

Many thank!!!!

Cat :whistling:

BNibby

BNibby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'll be Dipped! It worked donr53, thanks. I went through the trouble of registering for for this site just to say thanks. It's amazing the odd workaround we discover through individual initiative.

Good Job!!