Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP-1 SP-2

• Please log in to reply

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i was having some trouble with my computer so as as last resort i formatted my HD, i found later that, SP-1&2would not load, what is my problem and how do i fix it

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I think we're going to need a few more details.

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
like...

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What error messages do you get?

What happens when you try to load them?

Do you have just Windows XP with no service pack? That can be dangerous!

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it says that the expected version of the product was not found on my computer,

it unpacks the info, but then when i go to open it it says that error message,

no i am not using a SP it wont let me install them

Edited by Stoic Guardian, 21 February 2007 - 05:44 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you formatted your computer, then you wiped out Windows. If you have no Windows, you can't install Service Packs. Service Packs are not the Windows OS.

If you have the XP install CD, then you have to use that to reinstall Windows. After that, you can install the Sp's.

Edited by makai, 21 February 2007 - 06:08 PM.

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have an OS but the SP's wont install

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
So it seems that you are installing from a CD released before SP1. I suggest that you use the computer from which you are posting to make a complete XP CD, and clean install (with full formatting) from the newly created CD. I recently used Autostreamer to slipstream SP2 into my CD and the clean install was textbook. Free Autostreamer: http://www.softpedia...load-13918.html Autostreamer tutorial: http://www.simplygui...ostreamer.shtml You will need an ISO capable CD burning program. I used Deep Burner (free): http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download The procedure takes some time, but is straightforward. Copy the CD to file. Download (and save) the Service Pack, (I think that only SP2 will be required. I believe that it contains SP1, but confirm what you need from an authoritive source.) Then run autostreamer to create the total file, and finally burn the ISO file to a CD. Make sure that the machine upon which you want to install has its BIOS set to boot first from CD, put in the new disc and proceed with XP installation. Of course, activation will be required, and all updates since SP2 will be lacking. Not only will this give you a properly functioning XP, but then you will have a complete bootable XP CD for any possible future need.