Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen glitchiness

• Please log in to reply

Shii

Shii

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anyone know what causes this?

Posted Image

Seems to be a problem within the graphics card, because I can screenshot it. Already updated to the latest drivers.

Running a Gateway 600YGR.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Seems to be a problem with your picture, since it is only coming up as IPB IMAGE and not showing the picture itself.

Fenor

Shii

Shii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oops... here it is on Imageshack
http://img20.imagesh...e=whooeefu7.png

Also, this is just a small, representative screenshot, it happens at random times to all software

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could be a lot of things that would cause this. The laptop screen could be going bad, the video card could be bad or the memory could be bad. If you know what you are doing, I suggest you take out any removable memory sticks from the laptop and boot up the laptop and see if the problem remains. If it still does, then you probably will need to send it into a shop to have it looked at, because taking a laptop part is NOT something that just anyone should do.

Fenor

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Try updating your video drivers as well. If you actually have a card in there, go to the manufacturer's website. Otherwise, reference your documentation for who to go to for drivers.

Shii

Shii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice. I did upgrade the drivers but it only confirmed that this is a hardware problem.

I have found a workaround-- when I prop up one corner of the base, the screen doesn't glitch up. Of course, eventually this workaround will fail me and I'll have to take it into the shop.

[Edit] Unscrewed the base, there was a loose connection underneath. Pushed it back in and the glitchy pixels are gone. Yay!

Edited by Shii, 21 February 2007 - 07:35 PM.