Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking For The Right USB 2.0 Pci Card

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Okay well I bought a "Mutant Mods Acrylic Pc Case" recently as you can see here:

Posted Image

It has a USB 2.0 port at the lower front of the case as you can see in the picture below:

Posted Image

I have an old "HP Vectra VL400" model motherboard in it, which has no way to connect the little USB 2.0 port that comes on the front panel of this case directly to the motherboard since it's old. My motherboard still uses the old USB 1.1 at the I/O plates on the back of my pc. LOL!~

Anyways I want to buy a "USB 2.0 Pci Card" with lots of external ports. I've actually found two USB cards I'm very interested in which are:

1. http://www.tigerdire...a...9&CatId=511

2. http://www.tigerdire...a...4&CatId=511

I need a "USB 2.0 Pci Card" so I can use my new webcam, external hard drive, and I Pod Mini. I have a few problems choosing the right one out of my two selections.

1. I don't know how to but I want to be able to connect the front USB 2.0 on my case (as you can see again below in the pic), to the "USB 2.0 Pci Card". I don't know if this is possible because if you look at the photos below you will see that the end of the cable is weird. I mean I don't know myself but does'nt it have to look like a USB end cable plug in order for it to connect to the internal USB port on the card? & on top of that I have two USB ports on the front of my case so would'nt I need a pci card with two internal ports in order to connect it if at all possible?

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. I read a review on a different "USB 2.0 Pci Card" (none of the ones I chose), where a man said this:

"However, disturbingly this card does not advertise the fact that it is a ''Low power'' USB 2.0 compliant card. Only the belkin and D-link cards seem to advertise that they are in fact high-powered. Forget about plugging your iPod-mini (2nd Gen) into one of these"

I want to be able to plug in my I Pods or I Pod Mini, and do not know if either one of the two pci cards I choose are high powered. I guess from what he says that means I Pods won't work on certain cards that are not high powered no? I hope someone can help me determine if either of the two I choose are high powered because I will be plugging in high powered devices.

Please help... I know nothing about USB pci cards!!! Nor do I know anything about how to connect them to front USB ports!!!

Edited by superstar, 21 February 2007 - 04:12 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to go to the USBman's website and read up on the content. For what little extra cost is involved i would buy his stuff.

http://www.usbwholes...man special.htm

SRX660

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-superstar-[Looking for correct USB] 21st FEB-2007

Hi superstar – Good photos – I agree with SRX660 about using the card on USBMan website – They are NEC Chipsets + they test these Cards for performance

Comments on the your Selected USB Card –

(1) – Uses VIA chipset which in the past has had USB Issues that could only be corrected by using USB Card with NEC -

PPA International – [Parts Peripherals International]
http://www.tigerdire...a...9&CatId=511

Model # 1066 (UPC # 833250001066)
5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
Specifications:
ท Support all USB-compliant devices
ท 127-device support
ท 480Mbps, 12Mbps, and 1.5Mbps speed support
ท Five ports--one internal, four external
ท Support device hot swap and wake-up
System Requirements:
ท One available PCI USB socket
ท Microsoftฎ Windowsฎ 98se/Me/2000/XP; Mac OS X
ท 16MB RAM (24MB recommended)
PPA Link - http://www.ppa-usa.c...sb_pci/1066.htm

(2)
Zonet –http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...4&CatId=511

Zonet weblink –
http://www.tigerdire...a...4&CatId=511

4+1Port USB 2.0 PCI Card (VIA Chipset) – P/N - ZUH2215V -
NOTE****
I worry about their Specifications – They cannot spell – Specification Correctly on their website ??? What else is not correct?

It is a VIA Chip – which in the past – VIA USB Control Chipsets had USB Issues -
Specifications
ท Compliant with USB version 2.0 and backward compatible with USB 1.1
ท Transfer speed 1.5/12/480 Mbps
ท Compliant with OHCI specsification for USB Rev.1.0a ----SPECIFICATION !!!!!!!!
ท Providing 4 external and 1 internal ports as root hub to handle different devices
ท Daisy chain upto 127 simultaneous USB devices
ท 32bit 33Mhz host interface compliant to PCI spec. 2.2
ท Supports PCI Power Management Interface spec. 1.1
ท Supports Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
I do not recommend either of those 2 cards – Below are my recommendations

Recommended Card – USBMan – has good offers on good USB Cards – Has NEC Chipsets
http://www.usbwholes...i usb2 card.htm

Belkin has USB Cards using NEC Chipsets also -
Belkin F5U220 USB 2,0
http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=107412

This may cost more than the USBMAN Offer – but some computer stores & Walmart offers this card for good prices

But I am more concerns about your old – Motherboard – I was not able to find too much info – just did some quick searches – but just wanted to give you the info on what you asked about the USB Cards –

(1) What type PC was this - HP Vectra VL400 – Desktop Case or Tower Case ?
(2) How much RAM do you have – More important is how much can you expand to –
(3) How many Expansion for Drives & PCI Cards
(3) What about the Power Supply – Wattage & Form & Fit
(4) Are you or will you be satisfied with the performance of what you have – USB 2.0 Capabilities is all that you want

You just have to verify that your case will have the correct mounting of what you are installing – Known as – Form & Fit –

As far as your Front USB Port on the front panel of your New Tower –

You can purchase a – Front Panel USB Assembly – from website below
http://www.tigerdire...e...8&CatId=392

I did not research this out - just presenting you another option – What you need would be one that would use a normal USB Cable that you would use the – Internal USB Port – of the New USB Card –

Also the USB Expansion Cards come with both the PCI Card + The Front Panel & USB Cable ( All in one package) – Again just presenting additional option –

I think if you are using the Video Cam – Front Panel USB Ports – would be a good option – You may also check with your Tower Mfgr – for other front panel USB options – beside the one you have –

These front panels would fit in one of the open drive slots on your tower –

I just would like to see you have all your Upgrade Requirements listed – so you don’t – adlib/compromise at each turn in the road -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 21 February 2007 - 10:53 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Well as far as my system specs they're right on my signature. The "HP Vectra VL400" pc I have has the same name for the motherboard. I took the motherboard out of the old original case and put it in the new clear case I bought (with help and instructions from SRX600 & Samm from geekstogo.com). It's a totally new pc now and I have no worries that the usb card can go on the motherboard. All I need is to get the right card.

I never knew that the NEC type cards are better than the VIA ones. See it's information like this that saved my hard earned dollar and kept me away from making a terrible mistake (and future headaches). So thank you both for the information. I understand a bit more about USB cards now. What I'm still stuck on now is how I can attach the cables from the front USB port on my pc case (it came with the new case), to the pci USB card. That's my main focus, and I need to know how to do that. Because as described if you look at the pictures above in my first post you will see the way the cables look on the front USB port of my case. They do not look as if they can attach to an internal connection on a USB card. I think the front USB port on my case was ment to connect to motherboards that have "pins" for that sort of connection directly on the motherboard.

So yes basically my main issue is connecting the front USB that came with my new case onto a USB pci card. I am sure that it's ment connect to pins on a motherboard, but I have no idea if they make USB pci cards that have an internal pin connections for such a situation. That is my main focus! We've now come to agree that NEC high powered pci cards are better than the VIA chipset ones. Well now this is the final problem I have to solve. So if anyone can shed light on this issue please help.

One thing I noticed was that I went on a website for a random USB pci card and found this picture:
(This is a 5 port USB pci card using 4 external and 1 internal. But the diagram shows that there is a 2nd internal connection which I believe to be a "Pin" connection)

Posted Image

Here is yet another random picture I found using google, of a random USB pci card. Notice how this one literally has pins sticking out of it!!!

Posted Image

Could this be the kind of card I need to be able to connect the front USB of my case? I have no idea if those pins on that kind of card is for what I'm exactly trying to do. Someone with expertise please help and if possible recommend a USB 2.0 pci card that can satisfy my needs. (Remember I just got these random pictures off google so I dunno where to get the right card)

Thank You.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-superstar-[Looking for correct USB] 21st FEB-2007

Sorry – I missed your signature – Your photos/pictures did kind of mask it – Usually I research your previous Posts for a quick interview, before answering the majority of my Post. But in this case – It was just information that was asked for & I rushed it. I did a quick research, but not as thorough as normal.

I would have noticed your Post with SRX660 & Samm – It was 120 Posts with 5,915 Viewers – Usually, I just look at their Posts, and don’t step in. Today SRX660 had posted, as I was busy researching. and I did not realize he had past knowledge and a lot of input on this question.

I just wanted to emphasize the need to look at the – Form & Fit – of Components before upgrading. Had I done my research as normal –I would have known you were in – Good Hands and these were considered

Sorry for any confusion –

One thing I noticed was that I went on a website for a random USB pci card and found this picture:
(This is a 5 port USB pci card using 4 external and 1 internal. But the diagram shows that there is a 2nd internal connection which I believe to be a "Pin" connection)

Ok This Card – Pin/track Layout - 01_USB_Card.jpg

It was the 1st Card you listed as having an interest –I gave you the Manufacturer’s webpage shown below –And it was this website, that had this pin layout. Yes it looks like it has Male Pin Header Connector for a – Single USB Port – You have 2 USB Ports & 2 separate USB Cables. So only one Port would be – active – Also it has the VIA Chipset – Now they may have improved their Technology – But in the beginning VIA had USB Issues, related directly to the design.

Here is website that contains the Pin Layout of the USB Card that has – the Pin Header Connector that supports a USB Series-A Jack/Receptacle

Model # 1066 (UPC # 833250001066)
5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card (VIA Chipset)
http://www.ppa-usa.c...sb_pci/1066.htm

Here is yet another random picture I found using google, of a random USB pci card. Notice how this one literally has pins sticking out of it!!!

CARD – with Pin Header Connectors - 01_PC_USB_CARD_2.jpg
Do not know the website

This picture that is shown directly beneath the Pin Layout Picture – [In your Pictures] is not the same card – that Pin Layout is for. The Board picture shows 2 External USB Ports & 2 Fire wire (IEEE-1394) External Ports – Plus 1 Internal IEEE-1394 Port – And 1 Internal USB Internal Port - All using the narrow – Series A Jack – Which always face – Downstream – toward the device – So the USB Cable would have to be – Standard Detachable Cable – It would be terminated on the – Upstream End – (Toward the Host) – with a – Series-A Plug – and the – Downstream End – (Facing the Device) – would be terminated with a – Series-B Plug or Series Mini-B Plug – It also showing internal – Pin Header Connectors – for 1 USB & 1 IEEE-1394 – As you pointed out – But only one is for USB – You need two – One for each Front USB Port -

The Internal USB Series-A Jack could be used to provide power for a – Front Panel USB HUB – but would probably be considered a – Low Powered HUB – because the HUB would be receiving its Power via the PCI BUS – Unless they have separate Power Regulators for each Output Port – You would have to read the specifications –

**Note on Specifications** – If it does not specifically specify an item – Then that item is not in the specification – You can not assume – The less that a device can perform – the smaller the specification sheet -

Could this be the kind of card I need to be able to connect the front USB of my case? I have no idea if those pins on that kind of card is for what I'm exactly trying to do. Someone with expertise please help and if possible recommend a USB 2.0 pci card that can satisfy my needs. (Remember I just got these random pictures off google so I dunno where to get the right card)

Yes it could be – But, this Card has both USB & IEEE-1394 – Connectors for External – Internal & Internal Pin Header Connectors – You need to read the specifications – to verify – the support you require –

You probably want to use the front Ports for your -

I need a "USB 2.0 Pci Card" so I can use my new webcam, external hard drive, and I Pod Mini. I have a few problems choosing the right one out of my two selections.

The Hard Drive – unless you intend to travel PC to PC with – You can connect to a rear port and leave connected – You should purchase a Drive that has its own Power Pack – [USB Ports are limited to 0.5 Amps-] – If you use this drive as backup – then you should not use a USB HUB – you want to connect directly to a PC USB Port – Reduces Failure Rate – Lesser Components -

That leaves your WebCam and I-Pod Mini for your front USB Ports – I would classify both of these as High Power Units – and would recommend an USB-2.0 / 4-Port HUB with External Power Pack – that have LED for each Port & Power On indication – Current limiting for each port with automatic reset –

Regardless of what most people think or say – USB still can have conflicts – It is definitely minimized from the old – Serial Bus – but it is still a Serial Bus – SO the WebCam can still have conflicts with your Video Card & the I-Pod can give you Audio conflicts – They still require PC Resources – That when shared – can conflict – It is a lot better than before USB – but conflicts can occur – The IRQ Resources are usually automatically selected by – Plug n Play and are predetermined by – PCI Slot Location – The more expansion cards used – the higher the conflict occurrence factor – Also the order in which you install these Cards has a determination factor of IRQ selected – The same is true with the Memory Range Allocation –

USB states that it can support 127 devices – Yeah – good luck on that statement – They didn’t specify – 127 Functioning Devices – Remember if they do not specify – . . . . . . .

The more USB devices that were installed on a PC – The differences in Manufacturing Technology – began to separate the Leaders – NEC – AMD – Intel – nVIDIA are good - - - - Ali – SiS – VIA are not so good – In the beginning all appeared to be fine – but as the devices became more sophisticated – then devices that were already installed began to fail after camera installation – Design Criteria became important – Power Regulation – Inrush Current – Oscillations – Grounding/Ground Loops – Working Temperature – Wire Harness – Chip Location – Track Layout – Track Capacitance – Line drops –

The Device Manufacturers have part ownership of the installation problems as well – So it is a matter of matching specifications – PC – Motherboard – Peripheral Devices – PCI Cards – OS – User – and keep in mind – More $$$$$$ is not always the best - - - - Bigger is not always the best - - - -

Just more USB info – to give you some – Insight on Design & Specifications – Just keep in mind – That your Posts are being viewed by many others – so far – only 49 – The point is – That we are helping more than just author of the topic/thread – And perhaps this will initiate a New Member to post -

Remember – Geeks to Go is here to help – Good Luck –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 21 February 2007 - 11:21 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Thank you for all the information. Now I know you said that the ALI chipsets are good for nothing (in most cases), unless they advanced in technology. Well I actually found this USB card so take a look here:

http://www.tigerdire...a...3&CatId=511

PIC

Posted Image

Voila I think this is the exact card I need! I e-mailed the manufacturer of this USB card and they said that yes both of those sets of internal pins are for internal USB connection. Which would be perfect for the 2 front USB ports on my case! He did also write me back and say that if I do have the internal USB ports in use that the external ones would not function. Not permenantly just temporarily. For example if I plugged two devices into the front USB ports of my case such as a camera and I pod, than the external USB ports on the card would not be able for use. Once I unplug the camera and I pod from the two front USB ports (hypotecially speaking), the two external USB ports on the card would once again function for use. You basically trade the use...

Now is this the kind of card I need? Hopefully so!!!

Thank You

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-superstar-[Looking for correct USB] 22nd FEB-2007

Appears that your main – Criteria – Is using existing Front Panel USB Port

More USB info & Upgrading info –

ุ The Price is OK –
ุ Has the 2 Internal Ports that you need – They should be USB Standard Connector - However you need to verify if the Pin Centers are compatible – I believe there are 2 common types – (0.1 – Inch Center) and (0.159 – Inch Center) – Measure your cable Connector’s distance between pins – And verify Single Row or Double Row Pin Layout – Then ask Manufacturer for their data on these connections – If they are different spacing – Then you will have to modify your Cabling – Ask for – Mating Female Socket Housing Assembly for these Connection Pins – Also need to match the type of Pins – Round or Square – Again if they are not compatible – You need to ask Manufacturer to supply proper mating sockets or Part Number – Next Item – If the pins are different – Then you may have to Purchase a – Crimping Tool – and a – Pin Extraction Tool – In order to convert your Cable Connection – This goes with – Form & Fit – Just verify that your cable – [b[Connectors will mate with PCI Card[/b] – Of course – you can use the Low Tech approach and Force Fit – Might work when low number of pins involved -
ุ Ask Manufacturer – If USB Ports supports – Hot Swappable – Connections (Weather you can connect & disconnect with Power On – Depending on your Devices’ Specification on – Hot Connecting & Hot Disconnecting – Your call -
ุ I did not say – Ali Chipsets were good for nothing – Just they cut corners – that may or may not affect you – $ investment is low –
ุ The Either External or Internal Usage – Is probably Normal – It is linked to the same Port with both Interfaces & only one device is permitted per Port – I suggest buying an USB Series-A Plug/s and connect the plug to the corresponding External Port/s to prevent Usage of this Port/s when hardwired to Front Panel Port/s – This might prevent a – Disastrous Event –
ุ Ask about USB Power Rating – High – Medium – Low – Both External & Internal Ports –
ุ Tell them what USB Devices you are planning to use –
ุ Ask about Support – And what you receive – PCI Board – CD – Manual – Cabling – Setup Guide –

The main difference between the – Rear Ports & Front Ports – is the Connection Interface –

The rear Ports are directly soldered to Board. This results in Higher Power – Faster data transfer – Minimal Wiring/Connection Problems – Better Durability/Ruggedness – Only bad feature is – Not easily accessible –

The Front Ports are connected by Wiring/Cabling – This permits wiring problems – Slower data transfers – Lower Power Rating – which are due to Grounding and/or shielding Problems – Twisted Wiring is OK – as long as the correct twisted pairing are used – Shielded wiring is better as long as Correct Shield Grounding is used – You should only terminate one end & that should be closet to the Noise Source – Otherwise the shielding becomes an antenna or a noise generator – Routing of Cabling/Wiring is a factor also – Avoid sharp edges – Connections should be secure – And because these ports are easily accessible – They are easily bumped and/or damaged – Also the Port Mounting will become loose – Due to the frequent/constant connecting/changing of Devices.

Again I am passing this info to you + the audience/viewers of this Post –

Another bit of advice on installing any PCI Card in PC – Try to keep the expansion slots open near your Video Card so that there is breathing space for the Video Card Fan – Also if you are experiencing some difficulty – Try another slot – Not because the Slot is defective – But because the new slot will have different PC Resource Assignments – [b]IRQ/Memory Address
– that may be more compatible/acceptable to your USB Devices.

Jack123

Typical USB 5 Pin Housing -- 01_USB_5_Pin_Header.jpg