Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IE 6.0.2

• Please log in to reply

Sly

Sly

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello

Recently after I close the webbrowser (IE), "sometimes" I get an error where it says:

The instruction at "ox69..." referenced memory at "ox6...". The Memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Also another time I got this message:

taskmagr.exe - application error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

What is it about? What can I do to fix the problem?

I've got windows XP pro.

I'd be thankful if you could give me some help.

Edited by Sly, 21 February 2007 - 05:53 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you very much for your reply.

Well, I did what you said... it scanned the protected files (without giving any option to disallow any changes). But in the end, I never got any message saying it's completed. :whistling: It just got finnished. So I typed "exit" to close the cmd.

Do you think the corrupted file is replaced now (if there was any)?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You should be able to see which file(s) were replaced in the Event Viewer. To get there, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the right side, click System. Look for events with a date/time stamp that matches when you ran SFC.

If IE continues to misbehave, you can try to repair it. See this link that explains. Scroll to Method 2 (SFC is Method 1).

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well after checking the "event viewer", I got this message:

The system file c:\windows\system32\drivers\amdk7.sys could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x00000000 [The operation completed successfully.
]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

Also I tried to do the method 2 in the link you provided but it said setup canot copy the file IEXPLORE.EXE.

My Windows XP CD is a bit of older version so it's got an older version of IE as well (I upgraded the IE to 6.0.2 from Microsoft's webpage.). Maybe that's the reason it cannot copy the file?

Edited by Sly, 21 February 2007 - 08:59 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Was IE closed?

When prompted to find IExplore.exe, where did you browse to find the file? Did you use your Windows CD? You could try browsing to c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 instead.

If that doesn't get it installed, you might want to boot into Safe Mode to try installing the IE.inf file.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah I browsed the win xp CD!

Also I don't have the servicepack files installed. I know they are important but I never encountered any problems so I just never got around to do it.

Maybe installing them will solve the problem?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you haven't installed Windows XP SP2, then do that as quickly as possible. That may solve the issue.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello LindaGail.
Just wanted to say that I just installed SP2 and ran sfc again and then by checking the "event viewer" i got this message:

Windows File Protection scan found that the system file c:\windows\system32\ntvdmd.dll has a bad signature. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 5.1.2600.153.

Although it did not say anything about the other file (amdk7.sys) which couldn't be copied before.

But I guess the problem is over? I hope so...

Anyways, thanks a bunch for all the help! Appreciated it very much! :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, run your system for a couple of days, then be sure to post back if the problem persists.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well, I guess the problem persists. :whistling:
I gett the same thing now also.

So I ran sfc again but no file was replaced. I tried to install "IE.inf" and this time I used:

c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386

to browse to, but after a while it said:

mswrd632.wpc on the windows XP professional CD-ROM is needed.

So I put in the CD but it couldn't find the file there. I tried to do the whole thing in "safe mode" but with the same result. It's really weird.

Any suggestions?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Do you have reliable antivirus and/or antimalware software? Are they up-to-date and have you done a full scan recently? If you think you are infected in any way, please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

2. Run Chkdsk. Open My Computer, right click over Local Disk C:, Properties, Tools, Error Checking/Check Now. Be sure to check both option boxes. You'll be notified that Chkdsk will run at the next boot. This should take between 20-40 minutes.

3. If that doesn't help, you might consider a Repair Install of Windows.

*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You will have to reinstall other software you had installed.