Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

short blue screen then shut down

• Please log in to reply

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey guys i am new to this!! But I need help! I have a gateway laptop. MX6441. 2005. Windows xp. And iv been using it fine for 3 months. I have norton virus and spy sweeper on it so i dont htink i have a virus. Now my laptop froze so i turned it over and unlocked it and took the battery off then i put it back on thinking it woul drestart... because it useally does. nope not this time i get a black screen saying...
We apoligze for the inconvience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might of causes this. If your computer stopped rosponding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose last known good confiuration to revert to the most recent settings tha tworked. then you can either rebost windows normally or safe mode or go to good last configuaration. i do them all and it restarts shows a bright blue scren VERY shortly then starts up again and goes to the same black screen

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post as it could lead to more contact than you intended

Edited by Keith, 21 February 2007 - 08:13 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is an outside chance, do you have an XP CD

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I dont have the xp cd.

can i do al that with out the disk??

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
p.s. it wont even let me get on safe mode!! i choose every option then give me and it loads windows... then i get the blue screen agein for 1 second and it shuts off and restarts again :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow a same version XP CD

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i dont think any one i know has it.. would i have to put xp on it all over again? did iloose all my stuff on it??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You did try safe mode with command prompt, which should have given you a flashing cursor at a prompt to type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

The data is probably safe enough, if you can borrow an XP CD, this is what you would use it for

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
now i have the media upgrade will i loose that if i put a plain xp disk in.

see i get 3 opetions run safe mode, run safe mode with networking, or run last good configuartion or run windows normally.

what i talked about above only happens with when i run windows normally and run with last good config.

now when i go to the safe modes both of them i get the command prompt screen syaing multi (0)disk (0) partition (1) \windows\system32\ drivers then a bunch of drivers
then.. after 5 secs it disapears then iget the short blue screen again that i cant read because it goes away to fast then it reboots and i get that black screen starting with we apoligize....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use an XP CD it will most likely affect the upgrade, best to ask Microsoft about that

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i mean it wasent much of a upgrade all it did was give me windows media thing which i could watch dvds and music and pictures on.

so update i pressed f8 and got more options.. also i read some of the blue screen it said unbootable drive

but here is the options i have now.

does unbootable drive mgiht mean i loost alot of my stuff on my harddrive?

and i pressed f8 and i got to windows advanced options menu
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Sage mode with commant prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable vga mode
Last known good config
Directory dervices restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safe mode with command prompt if it runs

Boot logging if not

If you only added media player then you can use an XP CD for the repair

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
the safe mode didnt work but i turned off automatic restart and this time the blue screen stayed up!!! it says...

A problem has been detected and windows has een shut down to prevent damage.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your harware or softwares manufavtuer for any windows updates you might ned.

If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software . Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. Of you nreed to use Safe mode to revore or disable components, restart your computer press f3 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode

**STOP: 0x000000ED (0x845d1030, 0xcc000009c, 0x000000, 0x0000

AND NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT I DID DOWNLOAD A WINDOW UPDATE ON SUNDAY NIGHT.

HOW DOI RESTART IT ON THIS BLUE SCREEN

DOES ANYONE KNOWWHAT THIS BLUE SCREE NIS SAYING?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

Just choose an option, or press and hold the power button until it shuts off

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
lol i dont know much about computers that website is spanish to me. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, load BIOS defaults, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, then press enter to reboot

If it still doesn't load Windows

Damaged File System
If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:

1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.

2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.

6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer