Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

short blue screen then shut down

• Please log in to reply

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i press delete and dont get no where but when i press f2 i get the phoenixbios setup utility menu?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the one, look for an option to load BIOS defaults or fail safe defaults, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well theres tabs saying main advanced security boot and exit

the only tyhing i can find is load setup defults.

so im restarting now...

same blue screen

now to do that chkdsk do i need windows xp disk or do i need windows medica center xp disk??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use the XP CD, it will say if it is the wrong one

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
is there any where to buy one? are they expensive or is it easier to just barrow a friend that just got a new computer or something?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a disc, it needs to be the same version as was originally installed, and you need to use your product key, not the one from the borrowed disc

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
im so screwed :whistling: because i dont have my product key because i bought it 2nd hand from my friend

:blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apologies, you will only need the product key to run the repair

You can still run chkdsk /r

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
lol i justy found the product key it was on the back of my laptop wow im blonde

but i called a computer tech place and they told me i can use a burned xp disk that its valad as long as i have a valid product key and that doesnt work i can go to a computer fix store here and ask the guyu to burn me a media center xp disk for cheep if that doesnt work

is that true??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should work if it is just a back up / exact copy of an XP CD, though you will need your own product key

Advertisements

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
okay so i got a bootable windows xp disk and its doing the scan disk now... now i am not home but i left my laptop home scanning ita taking hours so most likely it is fixing my errors because ithink i corupted some of my files. .......... now when this scan is done in mos dos thing ........ do i have to be on my coimputer when its done or is it okay i left it runing the scan and the screen should be there when i get home ( i kept my charger on it)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Should stop at a flashing cursor prompt

For chkdsk /r type EXIT then press enter

Teresa Tanner

Teresa Tanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
but once it stops scanning then it wont go away after time right s if it stoped its scan tonight and i dont get to my computer tomarrow to finish it up it should be fine i wont have to scan it again correctg????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you are running the chkdsk /r then you should only need to type EXIT and press enter

Unlikely it will want to re-run the scan