Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sysytem resources

• Please log in to reply

Debbie14432

Debbie14432

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello: I have Windows ME. As of March 9 th i started having problems with resources. The site I play on and have been for 3 years seems to use up my resources. It never did before. I had a microsoft update March 9th and thats when my problems started, We uninstalled the one update and I thought that would fix it but it didn't. I tried to restore my comp but it said it could not restore. I was on the phone with microsoft for 12 hrs in a 3 day period. I took it to a shop they could not find the problem either. I use adware..spy bot and spyware doctor. I have no viruses. I have used pcpitstop to check...and housecall.com to check which was recommended by microsoft. My norton scans all my email. I do not open any attachments either. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks Just so tired of rebooting 4-5 times a day.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define low system resources (just so we're on the same page)

Debbie14432

Debbie14432

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz:

define low system resources (just so we're on the same page)

View Post

IMEAN THAT MY SYSTEM RESOURCES GET VERY LOW. IT NEVER USED TO DO THIS. LOW AS LIKE 15% TO AN ACTUAL 3%.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as in right click MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > Performance tab?

Anything about realmode drivers?

If not, sounds like a memory leak, which mean a program is using memory, does not release it, uses more memory, does not release it....etc...which is a lot tricker to track down on windows 98/me. Memory leaks, despite what people say, are very rare. What is newly installed since the problem began?

System resources are areas of memory that are used by the input manager (USER.EXE) and the graphic display interface manager (GDI.EXE) for keeping track of all of the windows that are open in a session and for drawing objects on the screen.

Programs that open hidden windows (spyware are notorious) and 16-bit programs are the most dangerous (many worms, trojans are 16 bit) when it comes to consuming resources (which are only within the first 64kb of memory, which is why adding more memory does nothing to increase resources.

Lots of fonts and lots of icons are also resource killers.

Start reducing programs that start on startup and see when the problem resolves

Debbie14432

Debbie14432

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

as in right click MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > Performance tab?

Anything about realmode drivers?

If not, sounds like a memory leak, which mean a program is using memory, does not release it, uses more memory, does not release it....etc...which is a lot tricker to track down on windows 98/me. Memory leaks, despite what people say, are very rare. What is newly installed since the problem began?

System resources are areas of memory that are used by the input manager (USER.EXE) and the graphic display interface manager (GDI.EXE) for keeping track of all of the windows that are open in a session and for drawing objects on the screen.

Programs that open hidden windows (spyware are notorious) and 16-bit programs are the most dangerous (many worms, trojans are 16 bit) when it comes to consuming resources (which are only within the first 64kb of memory, which is why adding more memory does nothing to increase resources.

Lots of fonts and lots of icons are also resource killers.

Start reducing programs that start on startup and see when the problem resolves

View Post

Hi again........the only programs that are running when i start up is my norton. I have not got any new programs installed since i first encountered the problem. How can i find out if something is running? I always check my ctrl alt del to see if anything else is there and there isn't. I use adware and spy docotr and spybot. I check 5 times a week.(scan) You mentioned icons. Do you mean the ones on my screen. Does this mean files that I have there too. If so where else can I put them. Thanks for responding. Debbie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when I say icons, I mean deskto icons...as a temp solution, create two folders on your desktop

programs
files

Put everything in those folders.

As for start up programs, there are many places they could be starting from...a hijackthis log would be useful for seeing what is going on.

Download from the downloads sections > spyware removal group

Debbie14432

Debbie14432

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What is a hijack log?? I am not all that savvy so please bare with me...I have eliminated most of the icons or put them in a folder.I do not understand"download from the download sections> spyware removal group
Thanks.......Debbie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.geekstogo...action=cat&id=3