Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Half a Browser?

• Please log in to reply

sick hp

sick hp

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, very new here.

Have been working with MS to try to resolve, problem is worse now, I think. :tazz:

Downloaded Win Update a couple of months ago (long since had SP2 -- this one included about 5 items). Had recently added Zone Authority firewall and Webroot Spysweeper. At reboot, clicked too quick and didn't allow updates to install. Ever since, havoc. Not sure which is the source, tried all I can ... and can't get Windows Update to allow me to reload these patches ...

Now, plug ins won't run on browser, can't see most web pages, others are very slow to load, system seems very slow as well. Seems worse since MS said to download Spybot. Now I can't download anything much in the way of applications, either -- including Hijack This, which I see used here, or Adobe (many pdf pages won't load, but then sometimes do, inexplicably), or QuickTime, or Flash .... you get the idea.

Many pages display 403 forbidden.

As far as I know, I am virus, trojan, keylogger, spyware and even cookie free at this point ...

Now MS has sent a disk to reload my OS. Since they've been so challenged so far, thought I should check with someone independent before I do. Can you help? And can you tell me what I'll be wiping out when I do this?

Two more things ... now often getting a system 32 error at boot. And regularly getting an error message "unable to make full connection to AOL system." Also memory seems to be overloading. This has started in past week, as things just seem to generally be destablizing ...

And please do forgive the naive level of this whole request ... I did see one thing, that ZA had a conflict with ocget.dll and looked at registry change info, but figure I need help before trying this, either. Did go to ZA and grant local and server access to IE in both columns, no help so far...

Can you help me get IE and plugins back? And whatever else is wrong here?

TIA.
Sick HP

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
I'd suggest you preform a repair installation of Windows XP. Be sure to turn on your Windows firewall, and run Windows Update when finished.

You won't lose any data, and it should clear up your problem. :tazz:

sick hp

sick hp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Admin, many thanks.

Just to confirm before I repair ...

1. Turn off Zone Associates firewall, and turn on Windows XP firewall?

2. I have OEM version of Windows. MS says to delete %windir%\system32\undo_guimode.txt before repair. I will still keep all my data, IE favorites, settings, etc.?

Thank you so much, again -- very very grateful for your help. :tazz:

Best,
Sick HP

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
1. After you repair Windows, your system will have no Windows updates installed. Because of this you can become infected within minutes by simply connecting to the Internet. Immediately enable the Windows firewall and install critical updates.

2. I haven't experienced any problems with OEM installs and repair, but here's the MSKB you're referring to: http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q312369

Looks like it would be a good idea to delete undo_guimode.txt before running the repair using the instructions provided.

sick hp

sick hp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My deepest thanks for all of your time and trouble. I will try the fix right away! Again, I am so grateful, and I just want to say this is a terrific resource. Thank you in advance -- can't wait to see web pages again! :tazz:

Will let you know how it turned out ...

All the best,
Sick HP

sick hp

sick hp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Admin, I know your time is valuable ... might be better if you are short for time to advance to my second note .... but this will give record of what I have done ...

Hello again ...

I have:
1. Repaired Windows XP by a) booting from SP2 disk sent by Microsoft b) using the set up Windows XP option now c) choosing to repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R options.

2. Run Windows Update, installing 13 patches.

3. Implemented both Method 1 and Method 2 fixes described in Repair Internet Explorer 6 post on this board. Did have some difficulty with the system locating files for Method 2, as files on disk had *.ex_ extensions, but it did seem to complete correctly in the end, after identifying the directories using search/browse functions. ;)

Still have "half a browser," getting 403 forbidden errors to many sites, and graphics simply not loading on others. Most of these seem to involve plug-ins... not sure since I can't see ... :tazz:

Hoping you have additional suggestions ... could it be something in my firewall (Zone Associates), or something Spybot did, or something in Spysweeper? Or even some setting in IE?

Many thanks in advance for your help, and with appreciation for all you have done so far. The excellent news is that the error messages at boot have stopped appearing, so I do trust that the repair was a help to OS, it's just the browser is still down ...

Again, I'm grateful ... and still hopeful ...
Thanks again ...
Sick HP

P.S. sorry ... just to clarify ... i also still cannot download any plugins or most apps i have tried this eve ... tried adobe reader, realplayer, adaware and more assuming this still holds true for the others i tried previously.

thanks again -- so truly truly grateful you are here to ask these things of ...

P.P.S. just in case, i was able to bring in hijack this so posting log, can put in malware forum if better, but pretty sure i am clean ...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:55:14 PM, on 4/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltpspd.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\PARENT~1\YPCSER~1.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\110086~1\EE\AOLHOS~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\The Weather Channel.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\DWHeartbeatMonitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\110086~1\EE\AOLServiceHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us9.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us9.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://rd.yahoo.com/.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://rd.yahoo.com/...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://rd.yahoo.com/.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://rd.yahoo.com/...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D28-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_0_8_6.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_0_8_6.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\program files\hewlett-packard\digital imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoTKit] C:\hp\bin\AUTOTKIT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1100860469\EE\AOLHostManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Desktop Weather 3] C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\The Weather Channel.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DWHeartbeatMonitor] C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\DWHeartbeatMonitor.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SBC Self Support Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {20048BB3-DB68-11CF-9CAF-00AA006CB425} (007installer Control) - http://download.007g...es/msnnames.cab
O16 - DPF: {31E68DE2-5548-4B23-88F0-C51E6A0F695E} (Microsoft PID Sniffer) - https://support.micr...ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com...kup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.av.a...83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1113091714723
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) - http://activex.micro...jects/ocget.dll
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.a...,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) - http://activex.micro...jects/ocget.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3D8099FE-995E-4526-9639-6B79C83E39D0}: NameServer = 206.141.192.60 206.141.193.55
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: OPXPGina - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\opxpgina.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Softex OmniPass Service (omniserv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\PARENT~1\YPCSER~1.EXE

thank you!!!!!!!!

Edited by sick hp, 10 April 2005 - 12:37 AM.

sick hp

sick hp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: OK, I just found info in this post on same forum:

E-mail pictures, Cannot see pictures

and based on that turned off all ad, cookie and script blocking/mobile code control in zone alarms security suite ... with each click, I could see more, and by the end, could re-download adobe. still can't see pics on some sites, get little red squares or just open spaces where i know they ought to be (like on sbc yahoo home page), but better ...

so ... I've posted to ZA forum and emailed their tech support, but, with apologies for my cynicism, I have little confidence in them at this moment ... and would much rather ask folks I trust (GTG) ;) -- Please, can you tell me, what does this mean in terms of security for me with ZA? Do I have to let all of the nasties in to see anything at all?

Thanks thanks thanks about a 1,000 million times ... it is only thanks to your forum that tonight I can see sites that have stumped HP and Microsoft for months!!

Sorry for the long,long,long post ... as you can see, I've been at this for hours ...

Again, thanks and in advance,

sick hp

Edited by sick hp, 10 April 2005 - 12:45 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Your logs looks okay! :tazz:

I have not had good experience with ZoneAlarm since they upgraded to version 5.0. Try uninstalling that and see what happens.

sick hp

sick hp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, Admin ...

Thanks and I will try. But just lowering security settings on ZA, I picked up WinAd, YourSite Bar, AdMilli Service, Wild Tangent, DyFuCa, ISearchTech.ISActiveX, ISearchTech.PowerScan, ISearchTech.YSB and MySearch. Thanks to SpyBot and Webroot, I think I got rid of them all, but it took time ...

Do you suggest another firewall I could be running if I deactivate/uninstall ZA? :tazz:

Been compromised before, had trojans, keyloggers and email accts stolen and used to send spam ... want to be sure I'm safe before I pull down ZA Security Suite (for which I plunked down good $$, shoot).

ZA's reply was not helpful -- turn off all blocking and/or leave on and make exceptions site by site. ;)

Also, after fix, I started getting the sys32 error at boot again ... everything is just quarantined, so not sure why on that. Here is HJT again, just in case it helps:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:27:44 PM, on 4/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltpspd.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\PARENT~1\YPCSER~1.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\110086~1\EE\AOLHOS~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\110086~1\EE\AOLServiceHost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\DWHeartbeatMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\waol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\shellmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us9.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us9.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://rd.yahoo.com/.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://rd.yahoo.com/...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://rd.yahoo.com/.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://rd.yahoo.com/...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D28-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_0_8_6.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_0_8_6.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\program files\hewlett-packard\digital imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoTKit] C:\hp\bin\AUTOTKIT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1100860469\EE\AOLHostManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Desktop Weather 3] C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\The Weather Channel.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DWHeartbeatMonitor] C:\PROGRA~1\THEWEA~1\DWHeartbeatMonitor.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SBC Self Support Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {20048BB3-DB68-11CF-9CAF-00AA006CB425} (007installer Control) - http://download.007g...es/msnnames.cab
O16 - DPF: {31E68DE2-5548-4B23-88F0-C51E6A0F695E} (Microsoft PID Sniffer) - https://support.micr...ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com...kup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.av.a...83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1113091714723
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) - http://activex.micro...jects/ocget.dll
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.a...,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) - http://activex.micro...jects/ocget.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3D8099FE-995E-4526-9639-6B79C83E39D0}: NameServer = 206.141.192.60 206.141.193.55
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: OPXPGina - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\opxpgina.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Softex OmniPass Service (omniserv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\PARENT~1\YPCSER~1.EXE

Thanks for all you do ... I have already recommended this site to others ... GTG rocks!!
In gratitude,
Sick HP

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts

But just lowering security settings on ZA, I picked up...

That was more than likely do to browser exploits, do you have all the critical updates installed. Also, consider FireFox -- it's much safer.

You can enable the Windows firewall, and then disable ZA. That will provide you with protection for testing.

Finally, your best way to avoid spyware is by installing SpywareBlaster, and it's free. :tazz:

sick hp

sick hp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just got prompted for 6 Windows updates tonite and loaded, and all other antivirus, antispyware up to date, too ... Loaded Windows updates at start of weekend when repaired OS, too ...

Thx, I have Spyware Blaster, too ... I've gotten darn paranoid over here! :tazz:

Sorry, one more question on ZA before I take it down ... do you know whether I can just deactivate rather than uninstall? If i get in trouble with Windows only, I'll have to reeducate ZA ... and still hoping there's a replacement out there that's recommended ...

Thanks again! I cannot say enough good things about this site -- excellent, fast, super-professional. Makes me feel much more secure! Who could believe this is staffed by volunteers!?! There is a place in Security Heaven for all of you!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to uninstall ZoneAlarm.

We usually recommend the free version of Sygate. :tazz: