Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Outlook Express v6

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
All of a sudden, my spell check dictionary in Outlook Express is in French. I went to Tools/Options/Spelling/Language, but French is the only option. It's always been English before this, and I can't seem to figure how to change it back.

I have Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates installed. I also just recently upgraded to Office 2007 from Office 2003. I installed Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook and OneNote. I did, however, uninstall Outlook and OneNote.

I just want to be able to spell check in English (US English).

Any help would be appreciated,
mike.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try SFC (System File Checker).
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If that doesn't help, we may need to manually reinstall OE. So, please post back the results.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi LindaGail,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have a valid XP CD. I followed your instructions, but the problem still persists. Please note that when SFC was done running (after the status bar was done going across), I did not get any message saying it was complete. It simply exited.

I see you say I might have to manually reinstall OE. If I follow whatever directions you are going to give me for this, will it erase all my old settings and emails, or are they safe?

thanks,
mike.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To manually reinstall Outlook Express, follow the instructions in Microsoft article 263837. It includes links to other articles for backing up your Outlook Express data (email, addresses, etc).

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I just found this thread that deals specifically with the problem of upgrading to Office 2007 and Outlook Express' dictionary problem.

The solution from that thread is to reinstall the Dictionary from the Office 2003 CD.

Please post the results so we'll know what worked and what didn't.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
LindaGail,

You are a genius. I was just about to try your suggestion of reinstalling OE, but then I saw your next post. Gave that a shot, and it worked like a charm.

I swear I searched (yahoo and google) for similar problems before posting on G2G, but nothing came up for me. You must have the Midas touch.

The weird part about this is...this problem was happening on my work computer. I also upgraded to Office 2007 on my home computer (same situation...upgraded to 2007 from 2003), but I don't have that problem on my home computer...go figure.)

Thanks again,
mike.

Edited by diggeryo, 21 February 2007 - 06:07 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got it working and thanks for letting us know :whistling: