Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router bridging

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
i have got a netgear wpn824 wireless router and a netgear dg834 adsl firewall router. i am hardwired to the wireless router(because if im hardwired to the dg834 adsl firewall router i can not do file and printer sharing and join local games) which is then plugged in to the dg834 adsl firewall router. i have heard about bridging them but i dont have a clue what to do any one no what to do and can help?? :whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

From what I read, you have a DSL modem/router/firewall providing internet access and firewall abilities to a wireless router which feeds the rest of your network. Nothing wrong with that. What else are you trying to accomplish?

:whistling:

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
im trying to bridge the two togeather or make the adsl router just a internet hub so that the wireless router is the only router

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Again, I'm going by what you are briefly stating: it appears this is what you already have. The DSL router/modem is providing your internet. It possibly is providing DHCP to your wireless router which inturn is pulling an IP from the DSL router. Nothing wrong with that...

Let's say your DSL router is providing your wireless router WAN connection with the IP 192.168.1.1... the only thing you would need to do is change (if it isn't this already) the default LAN (not WAN) IP scheme on the wireless router to something OTHER than 192.168.1.1, say for example 192.168.0.1.

Now your LAN devices will pull their IP address via DHCP from the wireless router. No conflicts and your DSL router is invisible to everything except the wireless router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...s...=149604&hl= background on what spud is trying to do notch...

my only concern in the other thread...is that he's trying to portforward through 2 routers to set up a server on the inside network...i've not had much success with doing this through 2 routers...but...that said i haven't tried it that often...

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
yer i was thinking about it and would it be easyier if i turned the adsl router to not a router so its just like an internet port and have the wireless router as the only router. is this possible cos i think it would be quite a bit simpler :whistling: