Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard and Panel Problems

• Please log in to reply

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had purchased a PCChips P13G+ Motherboard product through Tigerdirect.com. Had no problems with it EXCEPT lining up with the Panel 1 connectors vs. the old ones. My old motherboard had one row of 8 pin holes, 1 of which had no pin (4th pinhole in). From left to right it read POWER LED, HDD LED, DC S/W. I am not sure which is which, and which goes into the motherboard and could not find info on the website of PCChips (just have a picture of the PANEL 1). The actual power button had Red and Black wires coming from it, the hd led (I am 95% sure) has yellow and black wires, and the dc s/w (once again, 95% sure) has green and black wires.

The Panel 1 on the new motherboard has 2 rows of 5, the top right being the key (no pin).

The top row is labeled FP PWR/SLP + and FP PWR/SLP -, not sure if one of those original three connections goes here. Continuing on the top row is POWER SW + and POWER SW -, and from my understanding this is the main power supply and what I am assuming the RED wire goes to the + and the black goes to the -.

On the bottom row, it starts with HD LED + and HD LED -, assuming I connect the yellow to the plus from the original motherboard as it was HDD and the black to the - here.
Continuing the bottom row, there is a RESET SW - and RESET SW +, dont think this one is used, but then again I have no idea on this one.
And the last pin on the bottom row says RSVD DNU and NOT A CLUE what this is.

Thanks for all the help, do not want to mess this one up.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can't hurt anything by getting them wrong. The buttons just may not do what you expect. A little trial and error and you'll figure it out. :whistling:

My best guess:
FP PWR/SLP + and FP PWR/SLP - = power LED (red +, blk -)
POWER SW + and POWER SW - = power switch
HD LED + and HD LED - = Hard Drive LED
RESET SW - and RESET SW + = reset switch
RSVD DNU = Reserved, do not use

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had read somewhere else that putting them in the wrong spot would ruin stuff. But yeah, I did exactly what your guess was, and failed. It may have been right, but it still doesnt turn on or anything.

It HAS to be the PSU, because I got a brand new MoBo, CPU, HD, RAM, etc and when I press the button the green light on the PSU just turns off, goes dead (although it does light up when the power cord gets plugged in). I always had assumed it was the motherboard considering the other people operating on it used a magnetic screwdriver, and one of the chipset coolers was falling off. But guess it was the PSU all along right? Even if I had messed up a couple connectors I would get a beep or something, but I get nothing. And, the only indicator being that back green light going dead.

Any other suggestions/help/whatever please say, thank you for the help (great site by the way).

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if its off, i always check between each set of pins with a flat head until it turns on to identify the power switch