Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cost of Programming Site

• Please log in to reply

efilm66

efilm66

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried to locate the appropriate discussion forum for this question. This seems ideal:

I couldn't even attempt to try to program+design my idea, so I have consulted with a couple programmers/designers to implement my idea onto page. One is very busy and still waiting to get back to me, The Second just got back to me with a quote after sitting down with him with my proposal for about 25 minutes.

Would anyone be willing to share how much you charge to build a site from scratch? Is it by hour? By Project?

The Proposal I made was in regards to a job-matching resource which includes:
-job board
-mail center
-Organizing center that helps employers organize their projects including favorite list, profile, forms, schedule/calendar
-Profile Creation
-Subscription Process

I know that's very broad but one quote was $6,000
He started with a Cost of $2,000 for a Content Management system (site owner able to manage basic features and update site without changing structure) with customized graphics, menus, admin features, user registration.

Now that $2000 is upfront (after estimate, NOW)...AND before any of the "add-ons" (as programmer defines) I listed above are even begun. So my first concern is... that's one expensive page!. Another concern of mine is that I don't know what I want the site to look like. I explained the functions clearly, however, I was still having second-thoughts about how they would apply to the site as a whole. Therefore, wouldn't it be prudent on your guys' part to sit down with your customer before anything is paid for/decided upon and discuss ways in which "add-on" features would be applied to the page; how they'll function together, and just what the page will look like?

I'm not making myself clear...

First question: How does a programmer or designer begin the process of defining their cost/quote?

Second question: What is the first action you take to begin working with your customer who has approached you with a solid, yet developing idea (paying or not yet paying)

Third question: How much do you charge? And what is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for a site with some of these added features I've mentioned (any rough guess)?

Thanks!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I independently have made some websites for clients. I'll answer your questions first:

First question: How does a programmer or designer begin the process of defining their cost/quote?

Answer: Depends. I do it by the difficulty (and therefore time) it will take to program. I don't charge by the hour though, I sort of estimate the hours and put that into one lump charge.

Second question: What is the first action you take to begin working with your customer who has approached you with a solid, yet developing idea (paying or not yet paying)

Answer: I usually like for the client to have a basic idea of what he/she wants. I then start with a basic outline of their idea, and once they see that, they usually can tell me where they want to go from there. I never charge in advance, so that is N/A.

Third question: How much do you charge? And what is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for a site with some of these added features I've mentioned (any rough guess)?

Answer: For a basic website, (just menus, pages, few extras) I charge around $500. For what you've described (though I'm not exactly sure on some of the things.) I would say about $2000. This isn't including the Content Management system (waste of your money). Now, if I had to make the graphics too, I would up the charge anywhere from $100-$2000 (largely depending on what type of graphics and how many.)

Remember that you will also have to pay for a domain name and a web hosting service. Also, it sounds like you want some type of forum, which will also cost extra.

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the response, Stetty. Really helps. I hadn't thought about managing the site after it was completed. But it sounds like maybe you believe a content management system, or the one I briefly described isn't necessary. In practice, you must hand over the site in some fashion? is what I was told "content management system" not standard practice? I don't know. Thanks! you guys~

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, first I design the site on my computer. When it is ready to go live, I upload the files to the client's web hosting server and that's that. I will always give tech support on the site if needed, but to pay $2000 for "just in case" you want to change something doesn't make much sense. It's like an car insurance company paying you "just in case" you get in an accident. That's not how it works, they pay you after you get in an accident. Same with this, if you need additional work done on the site, you can pay more then. And, of course, I don't charge extra if the client finds a bug or something that doesn't work right. That's my fault, and I fix it free of charge. But if you want new features, you're going to have to pay for them.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Have you considered such websites as Rentacoder.com - they claim to be the place "where software gets done". However, I can't vouch on that as I personally haven't used the site, although I have heard some good reviews of the site.

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'll check it out~ let you know if I do it

Thanks guys!