Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about laptop screen appearance (colors & jittery)

• Please log in to reply

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'm noticing two things on my Compaq laptop screen:

1. When I'm typing in Word (for example), I can sometimes see the "colors" in the black text (like the colors making up the black, if that makes sense -- sort of like how you can see the colors on a DLP projector sometimes). I guess it might just be my eyes...? Please, no acid jokes... :whistling:

2. When I move open windows across the screen, I can see them as they move, but it looks all jittering/stuttery. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Is this something that just started happening? Possibly a check to see if you have the latest video card driver? Do you know how many processes you have running after bootup into Windows? It may even be temperature related being a laptop. Try running so that laptop's bottom is off as much surface as possible and see if this helps. Could be Malware related, too, but don't like to send anyone there so fast.

Ron

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Is this something that just started happening? Possibly a check to see if you have the latest video card driver? Do you know how many processes you have running after bootup into Windows? It may even be temperature related being a laptop. Try running so that laptop's bottom is off as much surface as possible and see if this helps. Could be Malware related, too, but don't like to send anyone there so fast.

I don't think there's an update for my driver, but how can I be sure? Where do I get that info from and where do I check?

So those things aren't normal? When you move a window across the screen, it looks perfectly clear to you?

How do I check how many process I have running after bootup into Windows?

Also, a side note: The fan on my laptop turns on and off constantly. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, even when things are at idle (with only Firefox and OE open) and the CPU at 98/99 for system idle process. Thread on this is here:
http://www.geekstogo...ve-t149727.html

Don't think it's malware. I've got AVG Free, ZoneAlarm Free, Spybot and Ad-Aware, and all seem clear.

Thanks!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Q. I don't think there's an update for my driver, but how can I be sure? Where do I get that info from and where do I check?

A. Rather hold on this right now.

Q. So those things aren't normal? When you move a window across the screen, it looks perfectly clear to you?

A. No, it's not normal. All Windows when I moved them in Win 98 were normal.

Q. How do I check how many process I have running after bootup into Windows?

A. Start/Run and type in msconfig. Click OK. See how to use Msconfig for additional info.

Also, a side note: The fan on my laptop turns on and off constantly. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, even when things are at idle (with only Firefox and OE open) and the CPU at 98/99 for system idle process. Thread on this is here:
http://www.geekstogo...ve-t149727.html

This should be taken care of in the original thread. Do you have Everest Home Edition? Or http://www.softpedia.../SpeedFan.shtml. Either one of these free utilities should help you find the info you want. Be nice to know what the temps and fan speeds are.

Don't think it's malware. I've got AVG Free, ZoneAlarm Free, Spybot and Ad-Aware, and all seem clear.

All these apps are good in and of themselves, but not all will catch Malware. Our Malware forum has the best techs to ensure you are clean. I only hesitate to send you there now, because they are very busy and I'm not satisfied you have a Malware problem yet. Feel free to go there if it will set your mind at ease as I've been wrong before. :whistling:

Ron

Thanks!

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

A. No, it's not normal. All Windows when I moved them in Win 98 were normal.

Meaning you can see the contents 100% clearly as the window moves? And it doesn't look like it's "breaking up" around the edges when you have another window open full screen in back and are moving a smaller window around in front? Maybe I'm not describing it correctly and it's just normal how it looks... :whistling: :blink:

I'll check out those links for the fan speed. But if you don't mind stopping by my thread on that, I'm posting some info HP gave me...

I didn't know you meant msconfig -- I thought you meant task manager, then processes running (which is more than what's in misconfig). Here's the list from msconfig:

Blank line (never understood that)
EabServr
cpqset
RecGuard
HP Wireless Assistant
avgcc
xlclient

And then I have these unchecked so they don't run at startup:
HPWuSchd2
ISUSPM
issch
QPService
DrgToDsc
SynTPEnh
Adobe Gamma Loader
eBookMan Monitor
Mobipocket Web Companion

But there are other processes running in Task Manager.

Thoughts?

Thanks! All this stuff is starting to get to me... :help:

I appreciate the help!