Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How important are MS Office updates? Are they included in Windows Crit

• Please log in to reply

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I've got Office 2003 Student Edition (all installed, minus Outlook). I haven't done any updates to it. I did not install the Microsoft GDI+ Detection tool. And I only visit Windows Update (not Microsoft Update) and install the critical updates under custom install.

I'm wondering:

1. Are the updates for MS Office that are critical security things included when you do Windows Update? (For example, there are a number of things listed here towards the bottom: http://isc.sans.org/...ml?storyid=2232 -- would those have been included in the last batch of critical Windows updates?

2. Do you need the GDI+ thing to do Office Updates?

3. When you go to the Office Updates site, it wants you to install and run some kind of Active X thing. Is this necessary? And can it cause any problems?

4. Can doing critical Office updates (separate from whatever, if anything, that comes with Windows Update) cause any problems or conflicts with other things on your computer?

Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

1. Are the updates for MS Office that are critical security things included when you do Windows Update? (For example, there are a number of things listed here towards the bottom: http://isc.sans.org/...ml?storyid=2232 -- would those have been included in the last batch of critical Windows updates?

i don't think the office updates are included on the windows update page...since the windows update is just for windows...not microsoft products....the office updates come from the office update page...or the microsoft update page (which is where you should be getting your updates from anyway)

not sure on that one

3. When you go to the Office Updates site, it wants you to install and run some kind of Active X thing. Is this necessary? And can it cause any problems?

yes the active x control is neccessary...and it won't cause any problems

4. Can doing critical Office updates (separate from whatever, if anything, that comes with Windows Update) cause any problems or conflicts with other things on your computer?

as with anything...any updates have some potential for causing conflicts...it's the nature of the game...you can't predict everything...the office updates however have less of a chance of causing system wide issues...but there is still always a chance...that chance usually isn't enough to stop you from keeping your software secure and updated though

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

All of my computers do Microsoft Updates, so I can't check it. But I don't think they would have been included. To confirm/deny, go to Windows Update and click Review Your Update History. This will show you the updates you've installed. Look for these updates that were released last Friday (I'm listing only a few of the 15-19 updates for Windows and Microsoft Office): KB920813 (Security Update for Office 2003), KB929057 (Security Update for Word 2003), KB929064 (Security Update for Office 2003). It is important to install the Office security patches, because.... they're security patches.

I really don't know if it's necessary with the new Microsoft update site or not. Try it without, and if it doesn't work, they install it.

Yes, this is necessary for the new update site to function. And no, it doesn't cause any problems.

Periodically, updates will cause conflicts with other software. It's fairly rare, but when it does happen, you can uninstall the update or call Microsoft's Security Patch Helpline at (866) 727-2338 for free support (does not apply to service pack problems).

I hope this answers your questions and concerns. I highly recommend you migrate to Microsoft Updates. It works the same way as Windows Updates, in that if you want, you can control when and which updates you download and install.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Sorry, dsenette, you slipped in your answer while I wasn't looking....

Kind of freaky how similar the answers are....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we're psychos...er um...psychic :whistling:

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

i don't think the office updates are included on the windows update page...since the windows update is just for windows...not microsoft products....the office updates come from the office update page...or the microsoft update page (which is where you should be getting your updates from anyway)

So MS Updates is better than Windows Update? I've read that some people prefer Windows Update instead of letting MS install another thing on their computer...? So you think it's worth installing the MS Update thing instead? And that will give you critical Office Updates as well?

Edited by bloomcounty, 21 February 2007 - 04:13 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
We've kind of gone over this question before:
http://www.geekstogo...s...=148321&hl=

Go with Microsoft Updates.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff