Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Hangs on Windows Splash Screen after Windows Update.

• Please log in to reply

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yesterday I saw the icon stating a Windows Update was available, so I updated the computer.
After the Update the Computer now hangs on the Windows XP Splash Screen.

I have windows XP Professional SP 2.

So I tried to open the Computer in Safemode and it hangs there too.
I tried to use the option to restore windows to the previous good copy, it still hangs.

The only think that I can think of is that about 3 weeks ago I installed some new RAM and now the update sees a hardware change and is throwing a fit.

Does anyone have a suggestion? At the moment the only option I can think of is doing a reinstall of windows, which I would prefer not to do.

Thanks,

Jayowen

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Do amemory test here and see whether they come out allright to rule out this issue. The 2nd step what you could do is do Microsoft Online test in case the memory comes out without significant problems

Posted Image at G2G

Edited by fozziebear, 21 February 2007 - 05:12 PM.

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will be glad to give it a try as soon as I can log into windows.
but at the moment my computer hangs on the windows splash page, even in Safe mode.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello.

Do you have a Windows XP CD?

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I do have the Windows XP CD.
I have even tried to repair windows.
But it isn't working, It gets to the 34 minutes left mark, restarts the computer and the repair installation starts all over again. rinse repeat.

I have ordered a new harddrive, when it comes I will do a clean install on that harddrive, then make this one a slave to see if there is any data that I am able to retreve.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well thats good that you ordered it, but I would of liked to fix it.

Try to run this anyway.

[*]Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
[*]When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
[*]When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
[*]At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

[*]Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
[*]Report any errors
[/list]

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will give it a shot, if it fixes it will be easier then doing a clean install.
Plus I wanted a second harddrive anyway, since I have dvr connected to the computer.

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I ran the Skndsk /r and it repaired one item.
but found nothing else.

On the restart windows restarted the repair install, and again it restarts at the 34 minutes remaining starts all over.

So no change.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Unplug ALL hardware like USB stuff, soundcards, unplug all that except the video card, keyboard and mouse.

Try now.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 22 February 2007 - 10:57 PM.

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, it seems to be working. I unplugged all of my usb and serial ports and restarted the computer and it finished the repair install.

Now I just need to update my computer and should be good to go.

Thanks for your help.

Will let you know if it hangs again once I plug back un all of my USB devices.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok thanks for letting me know :whistling:

What exactly did you have plugged in your USB Devices?

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
External hard drive, Trackball, keyboard, usb hub, webcam, printer, and Wireless Network reciever.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try plugging in one by one to see which one hangs. If one device does not hang , leave it in and keep putting more in to see which is causing the problem.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Possibility of an IRQ conflict with all those plugged in? Just following theme since I will be using a USB hub shortly. :whistling:

Ron

Jayowen

Jayowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Everything is working fine now, all devices are plugged in and nothing is hanging.