Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP on a new notebook with Vista

• Please log in to reply

Omino

Omino

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

I just recently Purchased a Compaq Presario C502TU

It came installed with Windows Vista Basic

The programme that I actually bought the notebook to use is called Serato

It is a music programme.

Serato is not compatible with Windows Vista and the makers of the software said they will not release a vista version till SP1 comes out for Vista.

Here is my question.

When i tried to install XP on it it said

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, fress F3. "

Is it possible to install windows XP on this machine? Do i have to format before i install XP? I dont want to go formatting till i know i can use XP on the notebook and that i wont turn it into an expensive paperweight. :whistling:

I only have the original XP pro CD not SP2. although i have the SP2 install on another disk.

Thanks in advance
:blink: :help:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You have several options available to you.

1) Format and install XP on your current drive. Xp will probably run fine on your laptop.

2) Go out and buy a new hard drive for your laptop. The prices of laptop hard drives have come down quite a bit. If you were to purchase a new drive, you could format and install XP on it and not destroy the Vista install currently on your machine. Another thing to consider about this is the fact that your current hard drive may contain a recovery image that the manufacture has installed which can be used to restore your laptop to factory specs. Meaining, if you install a new drive just for the XP installation, you can save your current drive in it's pristine state. Then, when Serato has updated their software for Vista, you can just swap the drive back to the Vista drive, move your data, install Serato, and run with Vista.

I really would opt for #2. The price of a new hard drive is small compared to the headache of having to install XP, the reinstall Vista later on. Another thing about going with #2 is that later when you move to Vista, all you have to do is buy an external USB hard drive enclosure, format the XP drive, and use it as a data drive. Of course, all this is not a recommendation, just a suggestion.

Omino

Omino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice, the manufacturer has put a seperate partition for recovery on, if i fomat the main drive but leave partitioned one with recovery on it can i just use the recovery later?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

can i just use the recovery later?

Sorry, I really can't answer that question as I don't own a Compaq. On my IBM Thinkpad, the recovery partition is protected and hidden and formatting will not affect it without purposely changing a bios setting. Your Compaq may be different so I can't say for sure what will happen.

Your best bet is to call Compaq and ask them your specific questions. As always, when dealing with OEM support, be prepared to receive support with possible misinformation... sad, but too many times, true!

Edited by makai, 21 February 2007 - 05:10 PM.

King Enited

King Enited

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the advice, the manufacturer has put a seperate partition for recovery on, if i fomat the main drive but leave partitioned one with recovery on it can i just use the recovery later?

YES... you can recovery the VISTA by click on F11....when the computer start up... you can follow the steps to recovery the Vista without any DISCs.