Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2000 laptop just says Compaq

• Please log in to reply

Cyon

Cyon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I got a Compaq armada 1750 laptop with windows 2000. One night i tried to shutdown and it would not no matter what I so i just held the power off button. The next day I powered it on and it said Compaq and counted up to "65536 KB OK". While it is counting a symbol that looks like a cylinder blinks and the CD drive makes a noise. After it's done doing that a symbol that looks like

|---|
|n-|

a square with a little square notch cut out of the bottom lights up and stays lit and the cylinder does not blink anymore. At the same time a white blinking upright rectangle shows up near the top right like your suppose to type something in but I can't.

I tried f10, delete, esc and all the other buttons but all it will do is shut off when I press the power key. I know the keyboard is connected because once I turned it on and kept pushing the delete key and it started beeping when I pressed it.

Also, I put in my windows 2000 Pro CD and nothing new happened except for it spun the CD around for a second or two. I even made some boot up floppy disks that I found on the internet and tried them.

After this i disconnected the hard drive, battery, wireless card, modem, and pressed in what I believed to be the RAM because I couldn't figure out how to take it out and put everything back. It still does the same thing, I really need some help. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
do you know how much ram you have your text is saying the bios only found 64mb's worth. also id say something is wrong with the ram. hdd problems would say check media cable

Cyon

Cyon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It has 64 mb of ram so that is correct. Does that rule out RAM problems? What else could it be?

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Could be numerous things, but the RAM is the first thing you could check.

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
You might have bad ram.

Cyon

Cyon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The only memory I have is the "non-removable base memory."
What exactly should I do?

Cyon

Cyon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I googled around about it and came to the conclusion that if the base memory is bad then I'd have to replace the motherboard since the memory is part of the motherboard. I'm hoping that's not the case since I belive the motherboard is one of the most enspensive parts of a laptop and I have never replaced a motherboard before. Is there anything I can do that could possibly fix the problem of not starting?

Cyon

Cyon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm now beting it is a CPU problem. I don't know why my Pentium II CPU would just go bad all the sudden though. Does that happen? It would actualy be conveinet if it was the CPU since I just ordered a new 600 MegaHertz CPU to upgrade it a few days ago. When it comes in the mail I'll give it a try. Please post comments. I really enjoy geting comments :whistling:

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

I'm now beting it is a CPU problem. I don't know why my Pentium II CPU would just go bad all the sudden though. Does that happen? It would actualy be conveinet if it was the CPU since I just ordered a new 600 MegaHertz CPU to upgrade it a few days ago. When it comes in the mail I'll give it a try. Please post comments. I really enjoy geting comments :whistling:

for your new cpu, did you make sure it was compatible? ex. fsb, socket, not over the maximum supported?

Cyon

Cyon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, the cpu should work, I followed a guide for upgrading the cpu on the 1750 model.

After taking the whole thing apart and puting everything back together it was able to startup and load windows. I think it was fixed when I unpluged the CMOS battery for a while.

Just when I thought the trouble was over I noticed there was no cursor on screen and the power indicater light was not lighting. I have a touch pad cursor mover. This is a really really bad problem. Is it probably because of the CMOS being reset or because of incorrectly reassembled? If it was incorrectly reasssembled then which connecter is probably the one that is not connected properly? If it was the CMOS then how do I fix the problem?

Edited by Cyon, 22 February 2007 - 09:19 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if your light wasnt lighting up either then you forgot/incorrectly to hook them up. i dont think you got the ribbons all the way in and locked