Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

about reformatting....

• Please log in to reply

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am thinking on reformatting my har drive and want to know what all the steps for doing it. I have all my discs that came with the computer and all new ones, that is including the XP home edition CD + a second disc with SP2 on it. I have also backed up my important infomation. I would also like to know how long this reformat and re-install takes, an estimate would be nice. Any help would be very helpful.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will depend on the size of the hard drive (formatting), and the internet connection speed (updates).

For a 200GB Drive, in 4 hours you should be able to remove SP2, format the drive using default not quick format, install XP and SP2

If you have the firewall and anti virus programmes on discs, then you can install those before connecting to the internet, and update them first

http://www.windowsxp...ldhdd/index.htm

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a 120 GB hard drive. I have a cable internet connection. So will I get my reformat and re-install done in one day? thank you for all the help.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi there.

First, uninstall SP2.

Let me know when you are done, and I will give you the next set of directions :whistling:

And yes :blink: You can reformatt and reinstall one day.

For your harddrive, it should take around 1-3hours.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 21 February 2007 - 11:36 PM.

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
do I have to uninstall SP2 first before reformat?

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Make sure you have all your drivers

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
First, are you planning on partitioning the drive?(highly recommended)
Second, are you familiar with formating and installing an OS?
Third, do you have the drivers for your system? Generally the Microsoft drivers will load most devices but there are some devices that do need their own drivers.
Fourth, Is this to be a complete format and re-install? If so you don't need to uninstall anything just boot the XP CD you have and start the process. Delete the Partition you currently use and create a new one. Choose the file system you want to format to and format.

Consider that If this is a big box system the COA on the case may not pass the WGA test. For some reason unknown to me most the ones I've redone and tried to use the number on the case fail WGA but the manufacturers restore disk pass. recover the Key before formatting. Aida32 or Everest Home will show you the keys.

PC manufacturer's sites are a good place to download chipset driver from and you should do this before re-installing.

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
should it be partitioned into more then one? I have not installed an OS before but have been reading on it for the past week or more. Yes I have all disc that came with the computer. I am wanting to do a full reformat. I do not know what COA and WGA test are. I do have the chipset driver on cd when I upgraded.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
COA is the Certificate of Authenticity. WGA is Windows Genuine Advantage. It's Microsoft's way of making sure you have the right to use their software and OS on your PC.

To me partitioning is very important. If you have ever forgotten to back up your system and had Windows crash and lost all your data on a drive you know why. *nix has done this for years and Windows user have learned how important partitioning can be.

I generally set up a 20Gig partition to load the OS on for Windows XP . This is plenty of room for most users but Gamers need considerably more, though you can install game and applications to other partitions then the C:\ drive. The rest of the space I create another partition for data. If the OS crashes you only lose the OS partition and save your data. Of course this is no substitute for regular back ups but it is a layer of added protection for your data.

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So then I should partition the hard drive into 2? One for the OS and another for my games/documents/music/pics?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Yes. Not losing your data and it takes less time to format a smaller partition is worth the time to set it up in the beginning.

Tip: create your partitions with the installer, install the OS to the chosen partition and format the other partition from inside the OS. (go to my computer and right click on the unformatted drive and select Format. Use the Quick format option)

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
any suggestions on what format I should use? FAT32/NTFS

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I would deff would go with the NTFS file system as you are not multi-booting.

NTFS is a safer file system and runs a lot more smoother.

You have a 80gb which FAT32 isn't really compatible with a FAT32 system. FAT32 is for OS'es like Win 98, ME , sometimes 2k but for 2k you have the opition for NTFS.

In this case I would go for NTFS.

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I thank all of you that helped and I am pretty sure this topic can be closed anytime now. I will go with NTFS file system.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Awesome :whistling:

Let me know how everything goes.