Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost capacity on hard drive

• Please log in to reply

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Geeks,

It's been a while, but I'm back to seek your precious advice.

I recently reformatted my 250GB Western Digital ATA hard drive, and re-installed my windows xp home hoping to get rid of viruses and malwares. However, I was surprised when my 250GB capacity was all of a sudden REDUCED to an amazingly low 127GB! I couldn't believe it, but I'm really lost on why this happened.

Is it possible to restore that 200-something capacity? I used disc manager and one other program to no avail.

Please help, and many thanks in advance.

WK

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use western digital disc programmes as part of the format

Did you install with an XP SP1 CD

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I had the same problem, i bought a 120gb and when I hooked it up it showed up as only having 40gb. I believe I downloaded a program from WD called LifeGuard tools and through the program it fixed it to where it full capacity of the drive.

http://support.wdc.c...ndex.asp?swid=1

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks Keith and tommy18; coming here was really worthwhile. WD's lifeguard just saved my hard drive. i regained 104MB, and that was just fantastic.

i apologize for the delayed reply, though. just got sooooooo busy at work.

again, many thanks. and more power to the geeks.

WK