Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random freezes

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
The comparison scan didn't return anything, if that tells you anything. Going to do the disk check (looks for bad sectors?). Oh, thanks a bunch so far for your time.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it asked for the XP CD it probably did something :whistling:

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hey Keith, the scan ran fine, but when I rebooted into Windows, my theme (Crystal XP) flashed, and then disappeared. Currently everything except for textboxes and enough to find my way here is all black. I'm going to reinstall XP, because system restore isn't working and even trying to change to a different theme isn't helping.

When I get all the drivers reinstalled for everything I'll make another thread, and we can take another shot at Memtest.

In the meantime, thanks anyway \=.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a software CD for the video card, if so, reboot to safe mode with networking and install it

If the screen shows in either safe mode or safe mode with networking, then it is something with the video card software

Avoid connecting to the internet unless you check the firewall is running in safe mode with networking

There is a repair option

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I got Memtest to run fine and dandy, and let it go overnight, but when I got to my computer, I wasn't sure what to look for, so I exited Memtest and booted Windows.

I'll let it run during work - what am I looking for when I get to it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would show errors if there were any, in red (I think)

If it has a list of passes with no indication of errors then the memory is fine

Worth checking the video card software, and considering the repair, even if you only use it as a chance to back up any data you want

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I reinstalled XP. I don't have patience for a repair that's only going to give sub-par performance and I don't have any sensitive data that wasn't previously backed up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it improve anything

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
As any vanilla install does, yes. I'm about to head off to work, and let Memtest go for about 6 hours. If there are any errors I'll write them down.

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
No errors.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it still freezing

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hasn't since the reinstall, though the freezes have lasted over a couple install's worth of time. So I don't think that the software installation has anything to do with it. Boy am I tired (got a flight in a few hours)