Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No "open in new tab" option in IE7

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, the "open in new tab" option is greyed out in IE7 in Windows Vista. I have no toolbars installed.

Also, any links I click (left click) from my start page open in a whole new WINDOW, instead of just changing the page.
Any search I do from the bar in the top right (Windows Live) opens in a new window as well.
And if I click the "Home" button, my start page opens in a new window, instead of changing the current one.

What's going on?

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 22 February 2007 - 02:29 AM.

Advertisements

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
How do I uninstall or repair Internet Explorer 7 in Vista? It does not appear in "Programs And Features" or "Windows Features".

Thanks

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK here's an update. I formatted and reinstalled Vista, and guess what? I am having the same problem.

If I run with no add-ons everything is fine. But there are no add-ons enabled when I run it normally, so I don't see why there is a difference.

If I run as Administrator (I still don't understand this feature - I AM the administrator...) everything is fine - with add-ons enabled.
I installed the Google Toolbar, which I had removed to try and fix the problem, and even with it installed, IE works perfectly when ran as Administator, but not when ran normally.

My "start page" is a custom HTML file, and the first time I clicked a link from it, I got this message:
"Internet Explorer needs to open a new window to display this webpage. For your computer's security, websites that are in different security zones must open in different windows."
I have all popups set to open in A NEW TAB IN THE CURRENT WINDOW, but they just don't do that! They open in a new window instead....even with a normal left click, which should just change the page. And if I click my "Home" button from any web page - it opens in a new window for no reason.
I think this "security zones" issue must be the cause.

Any ideas?

Edited by tomdrayson, 24 February 2007 - 11:10 AM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
After even more fiddling, I have determined the cause of the issue.

If you untick "Enable protected mode" for both your Intranet, and Internet zones, the problem is resolved.

So this "protected mode" obviously forces a new window to open when switching zones. What a pointless feature - and it's enabled by default!