Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows virtual memory possible problems

• Please log in to reply

rlanc

rlanc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I keep getting a pop up over the past few days saying my virtual memory is way too low and windows could not perform a system restore if needed. I have gone to add/remove programs and attempted to delete some things we rarely use, particularly kids programs. One is particular, Dora Backpack, says I have successfully uninstalled it but it never goes off the list and truly is gone. In addition, when I try to do a disk clean up, nothing happens. I am not sure if they problem is with this kids program- it is using an unusally high amount of memory compared to similar programs, or what. I would appreciate any advice on how to diagnose the problem.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Virtual memory (also called the Page File or Swap File) is part of the hard drive that Windows snags whenever there's not enough actual memory (RAM). Look at this previous G2G thread that answers some questions about virtual memory.

By default, Windows allocates a page file at 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have. You can set it higher if necessary, but the real solution would be to add more RAM. How much RAM do you have? Right click My Computer and you should see it there on the General tab.

Now, for the software. So after uninstalling Dora, it remains in Add/Remove Programs? Is that correct? Is this the program you mentioned that uses so much memory?

rlanc

rlanc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your quick response to my question.
According to the general information, I have 1.25 GB of RAM. We have very little loaded on this computer, so I am sure I have not used it all, if this is possible.
Yes, the Dora program remains in add/remove programs after I have uninstalled it. Why? Others that I removed dissapeared from the list. It is using 257MB of space.
In addition, I discovered that my system restore is suspended due to a lack of disk space. The amount set for restore is on the maximum or 3428mb. The warning pops up that I only have 45 mb of space. When I try to do disk cleanup, nothing happens and the error box just pops up again telling me to add/remove programs.
Thank you soooo much!!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1.25GB of RAM seems like an odd number to me. Usually, it's 1GB, 1.5GB, 2GG, when the chips are matched (2 chips of equal size). Do you know if you have three RAM chips? We'll look more closely at this later.

First, lack of hard drive space can cause any number of bad things to happen. So, open My Computer, click the View menu, then Details. For Local Disk C:, what is Total Size and Free Space?

rlanc

rlanc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again for helping me.
I am not sure why we have a strange amount of RAM.

On C:27.8GB total size
71.4 MB free
Something is taking up a large amount of memory and I have no idea how to figure out what.
Thanks!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Check Add/Remove Programs. How many programs are listed?

2. You can check folder size by right clicking the Start menu, Explore. Go to C:\. Right click on each folder and choose Properties. For very large folders, the size will take some time to generate. When you find a folder that is very large, open it and then check the sizes for the folders underneath, until you pinpoint the problem.

3. Run Disk Cleanup. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup. This will remove unnecessary files.

4. Empty the Recycle Bin.

5. Check the Free Space for C:\ after doing #3 and #4.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The 1.25 gigabyte ram could be the result of 2 ram modules (1 gig + 256 mega) or 3 modules (2 x512 mega + 256 mega). Please do the following:

Download CCLeaner from here. Install and run Clener and Issues. Repeat until nothing is left to be cleaned and no issues remain (this could take 2-3 times).

Download Diskeeper Lite from here. Install and run the defragmantation process. Repeat another time. Please note that video and restore files can't be defragged and will remain as red patches.

Download and run PageDefrag from here. It's a Microsoft utility that does a great job defragging virtual memory (page files) and system files which are not fixed by "normal" defragging.

All these programs are free.

Run a thorough scan with updated antivirus and other antimalware programs such as Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE.