Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to multiple drives

• Please log in to reply

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just got my first computer with dual hard drives (1x 160 GB SATA and 1x 250 GB SATA). I wanted to know what kind of things i can do to take advantage of this setup and possibly increase data speed and/or accuracy. Also if there's a way to synchronize both drive's document folders so one will automatically back up the other. Finally I wanted to know if I had the operating system on one drive and a game installed on the other would it run any better/worst than if they were on the same drive. Thank you for any tips or tricks. :whistling:

- Chris

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One can copy important stuff to the second drive (the one that doesn't have Windows on) so if the main drive falls over or stops working, you can replace it in the knowledge that all your important stuff is safe on the other drive.

There's no real way to increase data speed, because hard drives are the backbone of any data and they have been one of the the slowest links in the system for many a year. In theory installing stuff exclusively to drive D should speed things up, but in reality stuff installs other common stuff onto the same drive as Windows which negates any performance increases, therefore rendering the practice perfectly possible, but (IMO) pointless.