Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spelling

• Please log in to reply

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Not sure if this is the right place to put this...anyone that hs the power can move it to wherever. I can't spell or puntuate. My shift key is a little worn so not all letters get capitalized. i rarely am able to capitalize "i" (sould be "I")

I think there should be a spellchecker. I can understand that there is so much code, that it would create problems...I just figured there was a whole buch of "Geeks" hangin' around. Someone would want to tackle the issue of customizing a good one just for this site.

I am new to this site, not complaining, just a thought.

Really, instead of me "learning to spell" wich is the correct thing, I am asking someone else to do some work. Isn't it a wonderfull world?

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 21,803 posts
  • MVP
ColeEdwards,

If you download and use Firefox 2 as your web browser, you'll find it has a spell checker included. As you type, it will underline mis-spelled words in red, so you can then correct them.

*sari wishes more people would use the spell check feature - it would greatly enhance the readability of posts.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
iespell is a handy free spell checker.
http://www.iespell.com/
Johanna

*Johanna teases Sari
Is "readability" a word?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Generally, readability is a measure of the accessibility of a piece of writing and/or associated page layout, indicating how effectively it will reach a given reading audience.

Readability is a judgment of how easy a text is to understand for a given established and characterised population.

The understandability of a text is an interaction between the reader whose possible prior knowledge of aspects of the content and the text features would influence the ease with which they access the text, as well as the fixed aspects of the text itself. Presentation factors unrelated to the language of the text also affect readability, for example choice of typeface, text size, layout and colors.

Readability may be assessed by conducting a readability survey, or by application of readability tests which have been established through analysis of readability survey results. Often writers, editors and publishers make an intuitive assessment of readability based on experience, insight into their target audience, and knowledge of a number of rules of thumb, which are often derived from assessment of a number of readability survey results, such as that English textbooks are most readable when laid out with 20% whitespace on the page.

Re-readability - the propensity to again read something previously read after some time - appears to be a criterion dependent upon the reader. Yet, some authors, such as Robert Heinlein, appear to be more gifted to produce re-readable works than others as is apparent from the rate of re-printing.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
*Johanna teases Keith
Oh yeah? And this was written by the man who regularly substitutes an "s" where a "z" belongs and adds s "u" to words like "color" and "favorite"?

AMERICAN ENGLISH RULEZ THE INTERNET!

But hey, if we're going to get picky about spelling, let's gang up on the monkey.
*Johanna teases dsenette. unmercifully.

Johanna
(who credits crossword puzzles and Scrabble for her spelling ability, and has no excuse for all the typos.)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A dictionary or grammar is not as good an authority for your own speech as the way you yourself speak . . . Words do not have any 'real' meaning as opposed to other 'false' meanings. Any meaning people give to a word is automatically its real meaning under those circumstances . . . There is no such thing as good and bad (or correct and incorrect, grammatical and ungrammatical, right and wrong) in language . . . Correct can only mean socially acceptable and apart from this has no meaning as applied to language.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi ColeEdwards,

If you just want to stay with Microsoft's IE browser you can always download the Google toolbar for it. That has a spell checker button built into it.

:whistling: Wendy