Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply

JSlayer

JSlayer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, I'm looking at memory now and I'm not sure which way to go. If you had to choose between these two, what would you go with and why?

Crucial Ballistix 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) 5-5-5-15
$325.99

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 4GB Kit (4 x 1GB) DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory 5-5-5-12
$322.00

Crucial has been the only memory I have ever used, and although people sometimes complain about them being too pricey, in my opinion you get what you pay for. However, for about the same price, I could get 4 gigs of Ram from Corsair, who are no slouches themselves when it comes to high end memory. The difference is obviously the bus speeds. The Crucial sticks are PC2 8000 and the Corsair sticks are PC2 6400.

So what do you do? Do you go with the faster memory and less of it, or max out with 4 gigs of the slower stuff? They both have very similar timing too, the only difference being that last stat, the Crucial is 15 and the Corsair is 12? I have no idea what those numbers reffer too, lol! I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the lower the number the better they are, like the CAS latency. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on this one??? Thanks for our time,

JSlayer

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have the DDR (not DDR2) version of the Crucial Ballistix and find it excellent. To be honest though if you aren't overclocking the sticks then it doesn't matter what RAM you get. Obviously DDR is slower than DDRII but my Ballistix is running @ 550MHz (from overclocking my processor and only touching on the RAM).

I don't have any knowledge of the Twinx, but the Ballistix is good.

http://www.imagewire...CF2062small.JPG
http://www.imagewire...CF2055small.JPG

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, I'm looking at memory now and I'm not sure which way to go. If you had to choose between these two, what would you go with and why?

Crucial Ballistix 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) 5-5-5-15
$325.99

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 4GB Kit (4 x 1GB) DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory 5-5-5-12
$322.00

Crucial has been the only memory I have ever used, and although people sometimes complain about them being too pricey, in my opinion you get what you pay for. However, for about the same price, I could get 4 gigs of Ram from Corsair, who are no slouches themselves when it comes to high end memory. The difference is obviously the bus speeds. The Crucial sticks are PC2 8000 and the Corsair sticks are PC2 6400.

So what do you do? Do you go with the faster memory and less of it, or max out with 4 gigs of the slower stuff? They both have very similar timing too, the only difference being that last stat, the Crucial is 15 and the Corsair is 12? I have no idea what those numbers reffer too, lol! I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the lower the number the better they are, like the CAS latency. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on this one??? Thanks for our time,

JSlayer

They are both good brands of memory. Do you really need 4gb of ram?? Probably not, you can get by with 2gb of ram for now. That paticular Crucial ballistix is more expensive than the corsair because of the higher speed it is running at. Corsair does have some very expensive memory called the dominator series.

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145043

Thats just one example so dont think that the crucial is better than Corsair all together. As I said they are both good brands of memory. It depends what you are wanting to do aswell. If you wont be overclocking then you dont need really expensive memory like the pc2 8500, pc2 8000 or higher..

If you just want good gaming memory and higher quality the corsair xms2 will be fine or crucial ballistix running at (PC2 6400). You really dont need higher than pc2 6400 unless you want to be overclocking heavily and trying to reach insane speeds..

Keep looking around before you decide to buy, look at the corsair xms2 pc2 6400 memory.