Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for low power consumption

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Currently I'm running an XFX Geforce 6800XT with my Rosewill 300W powersupply. Ideally, I would like to upgrade my video card (non-SLi/Crossfire) without replacing my power supply. I don't wish to spend any more than 175$ on the card itself, and particularly am looking for the lowest power consumption I can get.

Thanks a bunch :whistling:.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That 300watt aint gonna cut anything with a gfx card higher than a 6800. I am suprised it even runs it.

Your gonna need to buy at least 550watts.

Are you a gamer?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd wait on purchasing a grapics card till the r600 comes out. Ideally if you can wait, do so till the end of april a bunch of low end DX10 graphics cards are supposed to be released. But a warning, the PSU will have to go to get one of those, GPU are becoming more and more power hungery, the X2900 XTX will draw 275 watts alone when released.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 February 2007 - 11:44 PM.

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
It runs the 6800 just fine. I'm not psyched over DX10 either, considering I won't be running Vista. Ever.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well as james said the newer cards like that one wants lots of power and you cant remember the other componements in the PC. Most likely it will shut right down if you bought the new card.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Even if you don't run vista, the DX10 cards will kick butt when it comes to DX9 games.....serious butt. At one point or another you will be forced to upgrade, if you are a true gamer.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 February 2007 - 05:40 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Only Vista supports DX10 James... so if he's not planning on upgrading to Vista, he wouldn't be able to play DX10 games anyways.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
doesn't matter, DX10 cards are backwards compatable with DX9 games. Making them kick [bleep]. My point, the r600 series is supposed to release some 100$ graphics cards which are the equivalent of the 400$ cards right now. However the r600 has once again been delayed, its coming out in may now.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 February 2007 - 05:36 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
right, but you said DX10 games, which are not DX9 games. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
*cough *cough
edit
where?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
heh, lol.

but back on topic. as everyone else has said, you probably won't be able to find a more powerful card which uses less power...

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just play Guild Wars, and when it comes out, Aion looks spectacular (and I just got my LOTR MMO Beta key $$).

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
you won't need a new card for LOTR, that much I can tell ya. If you've installed the game yet, you'll notice it's almost a 100% knockoff of WoW.

As far as your original question, hardcore gamer or not...bumping your card past where it's at...prepare for the new PSU, cuz it ain't gonna cut it.