Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD problem

• Please log in to reply

vitaum88

vitaum88

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi guys.

the thing is, my driver reads the CDs/DVDs (let's just use DVDs, for instance)... However, it doesnt read well... here is what it does: it reads for about 2 seconds smoothly and playback is fine.. then it locks up for 0.5 seconds.. imagine that each letter is a frame:

A . B . C . D . D . D . D . E . F . G . H . H . H . H . I . J . K . L . L . L . L . M . N........ and it keeps going...

so the DVD IS being played, but there are those "locking up"... btw, i tested on the other PC and the DVDs are running perfectly...

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee helppppppppppp =(
thanks!

Edited by vitaum88, 22 February 2007 - 04:41 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is usually caused by a dirty lens in the drive. you could try a cleaning cd but that is usually only a temporary fix. Buy a new drive at newegg and get rid of the old drive Even dvd-rw's are only $32 at newegg.

SRX660

vitaum88

vitaum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well.. thx for the info, but the thing is: i live in brazil, and stuff is REALLY expensive... like 100 bucks or so and also i'm using a laptop, so the drive is not THAT easy to change.. i'd have to get some technic u know
:whistling:
can i do anything else?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, you can go thru the usuall routine of deleting the drivers and reinstalling them. That works about 1 times out of every 5. Do a google search and seeif there are new drvers for your dvd drive. You can also see if there is a codec problem by finding what codec's you need and installing them.

You can find codec's here.
http://www.free-codecs.com/

SRX660

vitaum88

vitaum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hmmm i've tried reinstalling it. but i'll see if i can find some new updates for it :blink: ......... it's pretty late right now.. i just got home from a party, so i'll do it tomorrow and let u know ok?? thx a lot! :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
what are you viewing those dvds on, for example another player might do better, I like vlc which is free and reads almost all codexes(though not real player)

vlc
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/