Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Has Changed.

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
A cutomer called me the oher day with a small problem with her machine.

She said that when she goes to power on the system that it always gives her a warning saying that her CPU has changed and to press F2 to continue.

I just built this system for her about a month ago and it worked fine for the first month and then just started doing this a few days ago. Regardless of how long she is on the machine, it still gives her that warning on the system boot up.

I'm thinking one of three things needs to happen to correct this.

1. I go into the bios and then properly save them.

2. If that doesn't work, I change the battery.

3. If that doesn't work then I flash the bios.

Any other ideas?

Mobo = BIOSTAR 945GZ Micro 775 LGA 775 Intel 945GZ Micro ATX Intel
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This can be caused by actually changing the CPU itself, therefore a legitimate change. Otherwise it can be caused by a dead CMOS battery which means the system resets itself every time it powers on and the system uses the lowest available front side bus setting available, therefore its going to flag it up as a new CPU every time until the battery is changed.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

This can be caused by actually changing the CPU itself, therefore a legitimate change. Otherwise it can be caused by a dead CMOS battery which means the system resets itself every time it powers on and the system uses the lowest available front side bus setting available, therefore its going to flag it up as a new CPU every time until the battery is changed.

but if the battery was dead, it would probably brink up the message "bad checksum used defualt settings" everytime

Edited by AnthonyJ, 22 February 2007 - 04:59 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Different boards react in different ways to a dead CMOS battery. They don't all say "my battery is dead, I'm using the default settings". Most will just say the Date/Time is wrong, others are known, because of the front side bus settings, to decide that because its a entirely different FSB means its an entirely different processor and must tell somebody about it.

Don't forget, we're talking about a bit of plastic which is known to present "Keyboard error - press F1 to resume" to the end-user.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
ya the battery was my first guess.

but i have a couple options to try.

Thanks.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You didn't OC this machine by any chance? Some boards don't like being OCed even if they say you can do it.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
no no, this was for a customer, and i never oc a customers machine.

I went to her house last night opened the bios, check the settings and saved it. I restarted it several times with no issues, then turned it off for about 30 minutes and turned it back on, still no issues.

I'm thinking their house might have gotten a small electric surge which may have shut down the system causing the change in the bios.

I'm just waiting to see if the customer calls me back to say the problem has started again, if so I have a replacement battery here I will install.