Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I changed some BIOS settings and things went wrong

• Please log in to reply

tsbthall07

tsbthall07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I changed the boot up drive from CD ROM to Hard Drive, in Advanced Chipset Features, I switched the Frame Buffer Size from 128MB to disabled. That's all I changed. Which I guess...was quite enough because when I restarted the computer, the moniter won't come on (display) the CD/DVD writer steadily runs but won't open up to put in a disk. Also, the fan is constantly running and when I unplugged the system and plugged it back in, the computer automatically starts without me pressing the power button. Have I fryed this machine? Is there anything that I can do to fix it? Stephanie

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pull the power out and take the side of the case off and look for the battery, the little round battery.

Somewhere near that battery will be a three-pin jumper which is often marked as CLRCMOS or CLR CMOS or something similiar to that. Move said jumper across so it covers the middle one and the one that wasn't previously covered. Leave for a few seconds and move it back. Now power up the computer, it should come on and claim either that the CMOS battery is low, CMOS data is invalid or the Date/Time is not set or it should just complain. Go into Setup, reset the date and time and reset the other options as you see fit.