Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashes and reboots

• Please log in to reply

bloodyend

bloodyend

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok i just put a radeon 9550 agp 8x for an old, amd athlon 3200+ 2.20GHz xp, with 2 512 ram sticks, 200 BG hard drive

and when i play a game like world of warcraft or full spectrum warrior ten hammers (primary ten hammers)the computers screen gose black then reboots after 5 mins.

i do not know y it is doing this other than it my be the old cpu card not keeping up with the video card, or i am still running it with only 250watts of power. i hope it is just that it is not getting no power but can you help?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
does your videocard have a power jack on it? you may not be getting enough power to it. try reinstalling the drivers once

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok i just put a radeon 9550 agp 8x for an old, amd athlon 3200+ 2.20GHz xp, with 2 512 ram sticks, 200 BG hard drive

and when i play a game like world of warcraft or full spectrum warrior ten hammers (primary ten hammers)the computers screen gose black then reboots after 5 mins.

i do not know y it is doing this other than it my be the old cpu card not keeping up with the video card, or i am still running it with only 250watts of power. i hope it is just that it is not getting no power but can you help?

Okay one thing that I can think of is that some of the older amd xp motherboards have an agp 1.0 3 volt slot which is not intended for the AGP 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (4X/8X).

In less technical terms, the card might pull to much power for the motherboard to handle it or (Cant Provide).

That could be the reason but I dont know what motherboard you have.

The powersupply "might" be the problem also it just depends, that video card doesnt really use much power at all but if you had a 200w powersupply it could possibly be a problem.

:whistling:

bloodyend

bloodyend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the computer is a hp pavilion a604x

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00192488

this will aid a lot in helping you see what i got bad.

lots have been updaded but motherboad is still the same

bloodyend

bloodyend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
if i need a new motherboad and cpu can you point me in a good way of getting one around 250.00 350.00 max.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

if i need a new motherboad and cpu can you point me in a good way of getting one around 250.00 350.00 max.

in your Specs it says you have agp 8x so forget what I said about the agp port on mobo now that I know which mobo you have.

It doesnt say how many watts is your powersupply. Didnt you say it was 250w powersupply or what?

Did you disable the onboard video properly within the bios? Is there any video card devices in the device manager coming up with any yellow question marks?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i meant to ask, did you install the drivers? or did you let windows install it?

bloodyend

bloodyend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
all stuff in deivce magg is all good but i do have a 250w power supply running to it dose it need more?

bloodyend

bloodyend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
fixed it. it seemed that the video card was over heating becuse of were i had . that is way it was terning off, to keeping it from melting lol. it so i move some cards around it and added a fan now it work great