Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

flash drives

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Can someone please recommend some good brands please?

tia

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really like the Kingston Data Traveler i have and of the sandisk various drives i have none have failed me. I don't buy much of them anymore since i started using SD card adapters. That way i can use the SD cards in my cameras and in the adapter's for use like flash drives at will. The only problem i notice is that you don't want to switch SD cards between cameras as the formatting of the cards may be slightly different( even with same make brand cameras).

I have been selling these by the dozens for $10 each.

http://www.surplusco...p;item=DRV10867

SRX660

olderwhiskeynandfasterhorses

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Lexmark is tough. I'm pretty bad at remembering to take my jumpdrive out of my pocket before it gets washed, but my 256Mb drive went through both the washing machine And the dryer SEVEN times. The little rubber grips on the side were partly melted and and lanyard ring had kind of melted a hole in the back from the washing machine. After the seventh time I was able to save my college english paper on the drive before then pull it off again when I got to school to print it off. Then it quit, luckily after I pulled the paper off but still. SEVEN times through both the washing machine AND drier. wow!

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Are there any that can put on a key chain and also is it best to get one the requires a password or without, please?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
if by flash drives you mean USB keys then I too like kingston, most USB keys have little holes to allow them to by fixed to a keyring, but I left my keys at work once stuck in the back of a computer so I stopped doing it, instead I got a little bobble bell which helps went I forget that the key is in a laptop when I am trying to trying to see underneath for example

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
double post, sorry

Edited by fleamailman, 24 February 2007 - 04:06 PM.

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Can I please get some more responses as to what other's use for FD for about $20.

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It depends on how big you want your flash drive to be, at a local Best Buy, you can find 1GB flash drives for about $13 but that isn't often. Online, try newegg.com. I don't really think durability is that much of an issue on flash drives as long as you don't usually throw them accross the room or put them in the washing machine(hehe). They don't have any charge so if you do run them throught the washing machine, just let them dry out really well.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
another idea is buy a small external harddrive caddie which powers off usb port(making it the same as a usb key) because if you then have a an eighty gb harddrive you can see that you have a lot more memory for you money than if you bought a usb key, also as and when another harddrive is obtained, let's say from an old laptop being thrown out, or in the case that your harddrive dies, you can replace it easilly, the only drawback to this idea is as I have pointed out that you have to be careful with it because harddrives are not as robust as usb keys but if you get even a 20gb harddrive to start with you can still do alot more with it than even the expensive 4gb usb key

Edited by fleamailman, 26 February 2007 - 04:29 AM.