Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Mobo upgrade question

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have recently decided to upgrade my motherboard. Seeing as it is out dated and would like to get a motherboard that can handle some more RAM and has PCI express slots for better game grafics cards. The system I have now is a dell dimension 4500. The motherboard in it now has a max of 1 gig ddr sdram. Looking to start with 2 gigs DDR2.

How logical is it to do this?

I am not looking to get a completly new system, but I do realize I will run into issues with windows xp.
I found the mobo and CPU I would like and will link to them.

Just wondering what the best route to go about this would be. I guess I could just buckle down and build one from scratch. One piece at a time like that Johnny cash song :whistling:

Thanks for any help in advance

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You may have some minor problems installing the new MB and CPU in the case. I had problems installing the I/O panel that surrounds the back panel connectors. Dremel to the rescue.

Things to check on:
The Dell heatsink is very proprietary. You may need to buy an aftermarket one.
Powersupply is in question if it is a 300 watt or less PS. Some larger aftermarket PS's will not fit.
The front panel power and lights connector will probably not fit and you will need to modify it.

It will probably easier to buy a new XP CD than try fooling with a restore CD. If you have one of the blue Dell XP cd's it may just install. I have a couple i bought that will install on any computer i choose. Weird, EH!

Edited by SRX660, 23 February 2007 - 06:27 AM.