Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

banned from a forum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

azrayel

azrayel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
a friend of mine has been banned from aforum and will not be let back on. I know that there is a way to get back on through changing an IP address. This is not illeagal I hope but I really would like to talk with them again but without the forum our communication is very limited. It was a fluke thing that they were booted but the server won't let them back on. Is there anyway you can help!!??

Advertisements

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm having the same problem at the moment (see my thread further down this page - 'IP problems'), but I've got the site admin & mods at the forum trying to help me get back on (no luck yet though).

If you're friend was banned, surely they'll just ban any new IP that they use to access the forum? Or was it more of an 'accidental' ban like mine?? Anyway, if it's the latter I have a couple of suggestions - they haven't worked for me but they might do on another site...

ZarathustraX

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Whoops! Meant to say also:

What's the address of the forum? Has your friend tried contacting someone involved in running the site for help?

ZarathustraX

azrayel

azrayel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it was a news forum and noone has responded. We haven't tried changing the IP address cause we don't know how. I went to the sites suggested but don't know what to do with them. Wow you guys respond quick. I know they are using IE right now on win98 if that makes a difference.

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok well I don't have time to type this out right now, so I'm copying from the post I referred you to earlier:

"""One of the moderators suggested changing the proxy server I use to 'webcacheh11a.cache.pol.co.uk (195.92.67.75)', which I tried, and I've also tried selecting not to connect via proxy, and connecting via proxy as usual but putting [the relevant site] in the list of sites not to use proxy for. No luck with any of these though.

The site admin then told me to do the following:
"Open up C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in notepad. Add the line:
65.39.191.140 www.[site-you-can't-access].co.uk"
which I did - again with no luck. I also tried changing the IP he gave to the one previously suggested by the mod, and also a random one from www.stayinvisible.com ("217.33.216.141").
"""

That's what I've tried - hasn't worked with the forum I'm banned from, but it might be worth a try.

The stuff from the first paragraph - changing proxy settings etc - can all be done from Control Panel / Internet Options / Connections / Settings (NOT "LAN settings") / Advanced (under proxy server, not the second 'advanced').

Ok, sorry that was a bit rushed - let me know if some of that didn't make sense!

Cheers,

ZarathustraX

azrayel

azrayel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll give it a shot. Any and all ideas are helpful.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Just an FYI that I am watching this thread, and it will be put on a short leash. :tazz:

If you've banned, I suggest you contact the site's webmaster (usually webmaster@domain.com), and ask to get unbanned, rather than looking for ways in.

There are a number of ways to ban someone, at the forum, site, or server level. Some are easy to get around, and some are not -- but we're not going to entertain that discussion.

P.S. If you succeed in gaining access to a forum after being banned, there's a good chance they'll report you to your Internet Service Provider, and you'll probably lose your Internet access.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
As admin said some are very easy to get around. But he's right for putting this on a short leash also. Since you have yet to tell us the reason for the Ban being placed in effect.

I say go to the site --> find the contact information and contact them.

Thats all you need to do. Atleast have them give you the reason the ban was placed in effect. If they give you a reason, and realize that they did it. Then you were banned for a reason and probably will not be allowed back in.

Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Admin,

Could we please 'entertain that discussion' in my thread? I've been "banned" in a totally non-deliberate sense; have had moderators and admin at the site trying to help me get back; and had just two days prior to the accidental ban paid them a month's subscription fee!! :mad:
Plus there a couple of members there that I need to contact but don't have the email addys of...

...if there's any way you can help... :tazz:

ZarathustraX

azrayel

azrayel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
like I said b/4. I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I don't want to do something that will cause even worse consequences than being just banned. I don't want the topic to be "watched" just in case someone says something bad. Thanks for your advice and I'll drop it now since I know the possible repercussions of trying to back-door our way in. We'll just go to a new forum to communicate. Any ideas on that? :tazz:

101010hacker

101010hacker

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: I know how to get in forum after you being baned . [removed]

Edited by admin, 08 April 2005 - 08:53 AM.

Stephen_1987

Stephen_1987

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi i got banned from kerrrazy torrents i ened ot get back on plz help me get unbanned

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts