Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp horror

• Please log in to reply

Wellduhhh

Wellduhhh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just installed windows xp upgrade and have a nightmare.
My printer wont work, nor my scanner, nor my virus protection, nor my ipod software, nor my camera program. Who knows if there is more or not, since there are still some programs wthat wont open. Can anyone out there help me?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you went from 98 or ME to XP then the drivers for the things you mention may not work, if you have not got SP2 you may as well get that before getting drivers.

Most if not all the drivers will be had from the manufacturers site.

The programmes which won't open may not run with XP so right click their desktop icon then properties then compatibility then choose the system you upgraded from and follow the wizard

Wellduhhh

Wellduhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you went from 98 or ME to XP then the drivers for the things you mention may not work, if you have not got SP2 you may as well get that before getting drivers.

Most if not all the drivers will be had from the manufacturers site.

The programmes which won't open may not run with XP so right click their desktop icon then properties then compatibility then choose the system you upgraded from and follow the wizard

View Post

Wellduhhh

Wellduhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not at all sure what SP2 is. Why would I need that? Also, are these new drivers from the XP site or from the Lexmark site? Not sure what exactly I am looking for. can you explain further, haha, im an old woman. Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SP2 is from Windows Updates and includes security fixes for XP, though is your XP disc is recent it may include SP2, it is a huge download so if you have not got broadband go to the Microsoft site to get SP2 CD

SP2 CD

You will get the prinetr drivers from Lexmark then whoever makes any of the other things, go to their site to download XP drivers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post the make and model of anything which does not work and someone will show you where and how to get the correct drivers

Wellduhhh

Wellduhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
lexmark 5200
kodak camera and dock
ipod
those are all i can tell since some of the things just wont open.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For the programmes which do not open, right click their desktop icon then click properties then click compatibilty, then tick run this in compatibilty mode and choose the version of windows you upgraded from in the drop down list

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can not find lexmark 5200 perhaps because I am located in a different region to you, Kodak have XP drivers for everything, for the iPOD you may need you to ask their tech support cos they have a lot of updaters