Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop and Noebook restartng on their own

• Please log in to reply

jtipton1973

jtipton1973

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello my name is Jen and I desperately need help.

I have a desktop PC that I built while attending a Tech school so most of it's components are pretty generic. Recently I purchased an HP pavilion ze5700 notebook through a personal sale. I wanted to be able to use the notebook on a wireless internet connection. I went to Best Buy and purchased a Linksys wireless router. About a week after purchasing the router, the notebook suddenly quit working. The last action that occurred was my husband uplaoded a Yahoo Widgets program and then I checked my e-mail, turned on my MySpace IM and played Spider Solitaire. When I shut the notebook down for the night, the notebook would not shut down so I manually shut it down.

The next morning my husband turned on our notebook and when the XP screen came up where you put in your password, he did so and the computer woud indicate it was loading our personal settings and then shut down and restarted. It repeatedly did this. I managed to start the notebook in safe mode and ran our antivirus software (I have AntiVir Guard and software installed. I also use Zone Alarm, as well as SpyBot). No viruses were detected so I restarted the computer in regular mode and the same thing happened where it would shut down and restart. I decided to run the restore disks instead on the notebook however found out (after a call to HP) that these were not the correct disks. I ordered and purchased the correct software. Once the software arrived I installed it and the notebook has run in tip top performance.

During my notebook trouble I also placed a call to Linksys. They assisted me in setting up security features (after Best Buy told me this could be done for a rather large fee) and secured my wireless network for me.

This last Tuesday, our Sony DVD burner arrived. Excited at our newest purchase, I installed the burner according to the manufacturer instructions into my desk top. The way my mother board and cables are set up is I have a floppy cable which runs just my floppy drive. I have 1 IDE cable which runs my 2 hard drives. One hard drive is 120 GB and used for storage, the other hard drive is 30 GB and used for the operating system and minor storage. The other IDE Cable has my CD rom and DVD Burner attached. I set the burner as Master and the CD Rom as Slave. After installation I turned on my desktop and it recognized the new burner. I put the software into the burner drive and my computer shut down and restart. It did this repeatedly. So I contacted Sony. They told me that older copies of Nero or other burning software would cause this. So I went into my add remove programs and removed any of the items that would cause this with the help of the tech on the phone. Afterwards I put the disk back in and it did it again. So the Tech had me go to the Nero site and download 4 programs that would clean all files off that Nero had installed. I ran these and then put the disk in. At first it wasn't working, but then the disk read and I installed the files and software. I was even able to burn a DVD.

The next day my husband told me our computer was restarting again. We both thought our partitioned 30GB drive may have been too full so he moved files aorund. The desk top still continued to restart itself at random. I even went into my BIOS features to make sure it was setup fine in there. The computer continued to restart itself. It was as though it was cycling down. It would go less and less further into the startup process. So I decided to reinstall Windows XP. As I was in the middle of this process, the desktop restarted itself and would not even read the windows disk. It would get past the first couple of startup screens and then restart itself. I unplugged everything except the CD Rom and set the bios to boot from the CD Rom but now the computer opens the first screen and then restarts. At a loss I just shut it down and figured I at least had my notebook to use.

On Thursday, yesterday, I used my notebook all day. No problems. Then in the afternoon, my notebook froze in the middle of the internet. So I shut it down to restart it and the notebok started doing the same thing the PC did. I got the computer to the screen so I could start in safe mode but it restarted instead. Fearing another problem I put the Restore disk in my notebook and I reinstalled windows.

My notebooks is working fine so far.

What is going on?? Did I get a virus or what??!! The only thing these two computers share is the internet. I am very cautious about where I go and what I do on the net. I set my computers up with any and all security features I can. My teen and husband are not as cautious, but I am the one who primarily uses the notebook. My husband goes to a few select places (blockbuster, yahoo mail) and that's it in here.

It is not a power supply issue because I just replaced my desktop case less than a year ago due to a stuck power button issue (though it was thought to be a power supply....that was Best Buy's vedict) The only other internal things I have done is added another stick of 128 MB Memory and a 120 GB hard drive. Also why would this happen to both my computers??

Anyone with any ideas as to how I can fix my desk top I would really appreciate it.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you start the desktop with the XP CD in a drive, and set to boot from the CD ROM, does it want to continue set up

jtipton1973

jtipton1973

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My first attempt at trying to boot from the CD-Rom yielded XP being reinstalled, however in the midst of the re-install process (I think just after the files were done being loaded) the computer restart iteself and would continue to restart but would never read the CD. The computer shows the fisrt screen (where it tells you the computer's health and IDE's, but then it will restart before that screen fully loads. I have set my BIOS to start from my CD-Rom but the computer will not get that far now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it load the set up files and get you to accept the licence agreement

Is there any data on the drive you would prefer to keep

jtipton1973

jtipton1973

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It did not get to the license agreement. I got the first blue screen where I say I agree and it starts loading all these files, but before it finished the computer restarted itself. Since that restart I have not been able to go any further. I have nothing on my 30 GB drive that I can't replace. All my storage is done on the 120 Gig drive. So I have no problem formatting or doing what ever to the 30 gig.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Two options, test the memory and then wipe the drive, or wipe the drive and see how the install goes

Testing the memory is an overnight thing, check it in the morning and stop the tests, if there are memory errors, (which would cause installation problems), they would show in red

Using boot and nuke takes an hour or so per 25GB of hard drive but comprehensively clears the drive

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

If there is more than one drive installed, remove all but the one you want to format

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Use the default format option, not quick during the install

jtipton1973

jtipton1973

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok guys I am telling you my computer is not going to be able to any of these suggestions. When I power on my desktop all I get is the first boot up screen. It tells me the health and memory and gives me three options of hitting delete to enter set up or the BIOS, f9 for quick restart, and eESC for some other function. If I hit any of these keys nothing happens. I can not get beyond the screen. That's it. So I guess at this point I am going to believe I got some virus and it has killed my mother board because nothing else is working at this point. I can't runmemory tests or any of these supposed tests because I can't get anything to respond at this point. Thanks for the help and if I find out it is a virus I will let you know which one.