Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD writer problem Part II

• Please log in to reply

cmac24

cmac24

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
This is the second time I've had this problem but the first time , the problem went away on it's own (sort of*)

Here my computer specs:
HP Pavillion a450n, Windows XP, CD-R/CD-RW (16x) DVD+R/DVD+RW (4x) combo drive.

Software: Sonic Recordnow 6.5**

Problem: When I try to record a music cd using Sonic Recordnow 6.5, it will burn most of the tracks and say that the burn was successful when it really burned say 10 out of the 12 or 13 tracks. When I try using other programs (itunes 7.0, winamp 5.23) it won't burn the tracks at all. I had Nero 7 installed someone here said that it sometimes causes problems with roxio software (sonic) so I uninstalled it. Here's the strange part - at least strange to me: I can backup files with the dvd writer using recordnow just fine. It finishes faster than it says it will (stops with 10 mins left in the verifying process, with all of the files burned to the dvd).

* When I say that it went away on it's own, I mean that I had the same problem but after not burning properly for a week or so it burned with no problems until now. The first time was in late September and worked again in early October.

** Recordnow came bundled with the pc so I'd rather not uninstall it.

Assuming that the dvd writer is working, why not the cd? What might the problem with the cd writer be? is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

I should add that I've tried using different cd media brands (memorex, maxell)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Get a duster can and attempt to clean the dust from the inside of the burner. Dust is a common problem for hardware. Did you get help last time you posted about this?

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I did receive a response before. The suggestions were to uninstall nero then to uninstall roxio which i couldn't do (it was bundled with my pc). It was also suggested to look for an update for the software. I thought I had an earlier version and looking back i may try that. it was also suggested to clean the optical lens. Would this be the same as removing the dust? I had another problem with my power supply which you guys helped me resolve. When I replaced it, there was a slot of dust on the inside. i cleaned most of it out, but I'm not sure if I got to the cd burner. I'll pick up a can this weekend and try that first. Thanks.