Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't start at all

• Please log in to reply

mb2000

mb2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My PC will no longer start Windows XP as it normally does ever since I switched it off last time (when I only printed a document).

When I switch it on, the XP logo loading screen appears, but then I get the white text on black options to start Windows normally, Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config etc. No matter which I select, the PC always immediately restarts and goes back to the XP logo and starts again. Pressing F8 and using the options there results in the same.

I've tried putitng the XP Home CD in, but it doesn't boot from that.

Ocassionally I get a blue screen with "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and some 0x0... codes.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Advertisements

dougdavy

dougdavy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm asking for assistance for a problem that initially started out in a similar fashion on one of my computers at home. It appears that I either have malware corrupting my boot sector/master boot record or creating some havoc with my registry. The only other possibility I could come up with is that perhaps the Windows XP updates are creating registry conflicts. I am awaiting help from more knowledgeable folks, but doing a recovery start up from your operating system installation CD and fixing your boot sector and master boot record and boot ini files might help. However, in my case I had to eventially reinstall the OS, and the system is sitll not perfectly stable ... I backed up the installation with image writing software to another drive so I can recover my work and stay up and runnng until I find out if I have malware or just software conflicts. Good luck!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey there.

Do you have the BIOS set to boot to the CD-R first?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, what is the boot sequence in your BIOS please, is it set to boot off the cd

dougdavy

dougdavy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had my boot order initially set to boot from the hard drive first, as best as I can recall; but to boot from my bootable OS CD or my recovery CD for my imaging software, I had to reset the boot order to allow booting from the CD before booting from the hard drive. In any event, I think the Microsoft Windows XP updates over the last several weeks were responsible for creating a conflict between the microsoft's update software and resident software on my system. I guess it is possible that I have some form of malware, but I just did an entirely clean rebuild of my desk top system, and every scanning tool I test it with comes back clean ... Panda, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Symantec, Security Task Manager, and IceSword. I then applied the most recent updates, and initially ~79 - 81 were applied without any apparent problem. Then , when I allowed the next 13 to download and install (most were Microsoft Word 2003 "critical " updates), the system became unstable (when I double clicked my WIndow Washer shortcut on my desktop to start up Window Washer, the Window Washer window would open up and skip across my desktop, and when I tried to get Window Washer to "Wash My Computer", the program would start then promptly crash). Norton Win Doctor noted mutiple registry errors after thiese last updates, which I allowed Win DOctor to automatically fix. The system then became less erratic, but now still intermittently will not boot. I spoke to a friend who had been in touch with his brother in law, who is much moe knowledgeable about computers than I am, and he says that he occasionally has trouble with the Microsoft updates causing his computer to become unstable, and he typically sets recovery points before donloading and installing them. I am not sure what to think at this point. Any thoughts? Thanks