Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Case Fans

• Please log in to reply

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
This is what my case fan setup looks like. Opposite to the red markings is the motherboard. I am wondering should i have the extra case fans labeled with the red color blowing air in or out?

Posted Image

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of the time cases have side openings so you can funnel colder outside air to the Processor(air blowing in) to cool it slightly more than normal. Processor fans blow down onto the heatsink to not only cool the CPU but also to cool the capacitors and chipsets around the CPU socket. Some people even add an additional fan to the side cover in front of the usual funnel to the cpu hoping to increase the cooling but i think this is overkill because when i tryed it the result was only 1° C difference. I've had much better luck cutting a hole in the top of the case and installing a fan there. Temp difference was 4° C(15° F). This does not work on cases specifically designed for good cooling. I'm cheap, so a little time and a $5 fan on a cheap $30 case is cheaper than a $125 case.

SRX660