Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

24 pin to 20 pin atx power confusion

• Please log in to reply

jdex24

jdex24

• Pip
  • 5 posts
im trying to connect a 24 pin cable (power supply) to my 20 pin socket (on motherboard) ive read somewhere that it is possible to overhang the 4 extra pins but when i go to do this my motherboard has cathodes in the way. ive been really confused about the whole 20 pin to 24 pin adapters and im not sure if it will work this way around. also i read that it may be possible to stanly knife the extra 4 pins (not the wires) so that it would fit in place. the last thing is what do these extra 4 pins do. and to make things more confusing for me ive got another 4 pin slot on my motherboard and im not sure what goes into that. can someone please clearly explain because my head is about to explode.
cherz

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of the 24 pin power plugs have one side where you can detach a set of 4 pins off( usually by sliding up) so you have a 20 pin power plug and a separate 4 pin Intel CPUpower plug that usually plugs into the motherboard. If you are not using a Intel CPU then you can get by with an "24pin to 20pin" adapter if needed.

http://www.power-on....s-adapters.html

If you cannot pull the 4 pin from the 24 pin connector you can also use an adapter for this.

http://www.directron.com/p4atx.html

The 24 pin main power connector was added in ATX12V 2.0 to provide extra power needed by PCI-Express slots. The older 20 pin main power cable only has one 12 volt line. The new 24 pin connector added one line apiece for ground, 3.3, 5, and 12 volts. The extra pins made the 6 pin auxiliary cable unnecessary so most ATX12V 2.x power supplies don't have them. This connector is polarized so it can only be plugged in pointing in the correct direction.

It would probably help if you downloaded the motherboard manual for your MB. With the manual you could find out just what every connection on the MB is used for. Most MB makers have manuals on their websites.

SRX660

jdex24

jdex24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanx for that. i last night managed to squeez the 24 pin plug into the 20 pin slot. i turned the computer on and everything worked fine but i did however notice that my graphics card 8800gts was running a little hot to the touch. im not sure if this is normal or not. ive got a pci-e plug conected to the back of the graphics card and a eps 12v 8 pin with a converter to a 4 pin plugged into the 4pin slot on my mobo. any reason for the graphics card overheating. is it a wise decision to just chuck my mobo and buy a new one? its just i only just purchased the motherboard 4 months ago and finding money to get a new one is going to be a mission when your a poor student. p.s ASRock manuals are not the best.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
8800's run hot. It's normal for them to reach over 150F, so just because it is hot to the touch doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong.

Edited by stettybet0, 24 February 2007 - 04:20 PM.

jdex24

jdex24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanx stettybet0. was a bit worried when i first touched it.