Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooling help please

• Please log in to reply

RimCheck

RimCheck

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi is have a dell deminsion 4700 series computer.

It has come to my attention that my computer may be a bit on the hot side, and I want it cooler.

I runs avg for the two hard drives at 124F for both.

The problem is:

My hard drives are coupled together at the front bottom of case behind the power button under the floppy drive and still standing vertical with like only a couple centimeters between meaning little heat dissapation.

Also, i have one pci slot left, but my nvida geforce 7600gt is kind of bulky with its own cpu and fan on it that my other slot is block, and the last slot is being used for a NIC card.

I have one case fan, and one power supply fan.

Please help me what should u do?

Ty.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Your options are very limited. Usually Dell packs stuff pretty tight, which seems to be your situation from what you describe. I have an old Compaq with hard drives mouted exactly as you Dell. I wanted to add more cooling so I took of the removable side cover and carefully designed a way to mount an intake fan on it (on the inside). Once I was sure I had adequate clearance on the inside, I drilled holes in the side cover for intake, then mounted the fan. It is still working very well for me. Something like that will probably help over all cooling but may not help your hard drives very much. Is there space in front of the hard drives (between the hard drive cage and the front of the case) where you can mount an intake fan? If so, that would probably be your best bet.

RimCheck

RimCheck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
NO there isnt room infront of the cage. but I found a new solution hope it works. Nvm it didnt was going to rearrange the pci slot devices i have installed, but correct me if i am wrong the pci express slot isnt universal for a evga nvida geforce 4 7600gt slot? If it is then i can move my stuff, but if i only can use that one slot, then I guess my plan wont work.

The other option I have is to do what you said which is what i was thinking of, or is there a bigger or faster fan I could put in for the one already in there?

How big is an exhaust fan that takes up a slot, or will a hard drive fan mount on my hard drive bracket or no?

ANy help appreciated.

:whistling: