Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Formatting hard drives

• Please log in to reply

RimCheck

RimCheck

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi I recentley reformatted my computer to windows XP Pro from XP home edition.

I deleted all partitions and made new ones.

Here they are:

Disk0: 39.7gb windows NTFS partition=basic Healthy(System)
63.47gb Backup NTFS patition=basic Healthy
42.97gb Misc NTFS partition=basic Healthy
3.49gb Free space
Disk1: 293.19gb Programs NTFS partition=basic Healthy
4.89gb Pagefile NTFS partition=basic Healthy

All drives have a logical letter windows=C programs=D Backup=F Misc=I Pagefile=E

Questions is: NOne of my drives say MBR drive, or are marked active, do I need to mark them liek this or what? OR is it fine as it is, or will I need to do this and will it perform better?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
We do not see a partitin named MBR. MBR (master boot record) is the first sector of every hard drive and it contains data about the stracture of disk (number and size of partitions etc).

I just wonder about some details in your post:

What is this 3.49 gb free space on the disk 0?

What is this 4.89 gb of filepage on disk 1? By default windows create and manage page file space (virtual memory) in the same partition where it is installed, taking into consideration ram size. There is no need to create extra page file space.

I wonder about the incoherence of drive lettering. I would expect letters to follow each other logically in every drive. For example I would expect Backup to be marked D and not F.

RimCheck

RimCheck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
the free space on 0 was by accident, and the page file size is because I set windows to use that drive for page file an advanced feature for some i guess.

If you had looked at my question it was why dont i have an mbr on my drives, and none are marked active, but one is marked system.

*SEE LAST POST OF MINE*

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The one marked "System" (usually "C") contains your MBR. You will not see it as a partition because it resides in the system partition.

I usually don't move the pagefile from the system partition. Some software will look for the pagefile on "C" and if it isn't there, Windows will make another one. Unless you have a specific reason to keep it separate from the OS, I would move it back. Your computer's performance will improve.
Johanna

RimCheck

RimCheck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I was told that if you have a independent partition that it is better and does not clutter the os.

I changed the pagefile option to only pagefile the selected logical drive. So far it has worked well, why does it lose performance, and do i need to mark a partition as active?

Also *Turning hyperthreading off makes your computer run faster i tested it.*