Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Ending now" messages while shutting down

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Lately, whenever I shut down or restart my computer, one of those "Program not responding, ending program, select to end now" messages appears, for some sort of program with a name I don't recognize. I don't remember exactly what the names are off hand, but they are similar to names such as "de2" or "3e01" and other random assortments of letters and numbers. What programs are these messages referring to?

I use Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2.

Other than that, my computer runs perfectly fine.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you haven't installed anything recently start to expect malware. If you go to Programs>Accessories>System Information and look in Software>Loaded Modules you may find some of those strange names. Google them and if they indicated malware go to that forum.

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I tried shutting down again and got one of the programs. It was simply called "1150", don't know if this helps.

It's not on that loaded modules list, and I can't seem to find anything on Google.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
if you don't feel safe deleting it you can always try just disabling it for msconfig startups if it is there so that it won't be running in the background

I think it is malware and one should go to the malware section here with it, please go though the steps mentioned in the below link, the link will then explain what to do after that
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html