Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Storing Data on 2nd Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi,

I have a a video collection I've been keeping for some time that is around 11 gigabytes. They're taking up quite some space and want to transfer them to a second drive. I have a 40 gig Seagate hard drive that I bought and I want to transfer my movie files to it. Here's what I need help with.

1.) How to install the drive as a slave drive (shouldn't it be set as a slave drive?)
2.) Do I need Windows XP SP2 on the drive for it to hold my files?
3.) How to transfer from master drive to new drive?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You haven't described your system so we have to guess a bit. First do you have a slot the new drive can fit in? Many machines only have room for one drive. If you have the old fashioned 40 wire cable you need to set it as slave. If you have the newer 80 wire IDE cable with the blue black and grey connectors set it as cable select and hook it to the grey end. You will need to go into Administrative tools in the control panel and go to computer management then disk managment to set the drive up and format it.

No you don't need to install Windows on it to accept the files but you may wish to image your whole disk over to it so that you can use it as a backup disk in case your current one fails. You can download the software for that from Seagate and burn it to a CD.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes my system can hold two drives and I do have the newer cable......

So all I need to do is connect the drive to the gray slot and configure it from Control Panel?

Edited by leedownen123, 10 March 2007 - 07:28 AM.