Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security Camera Setup

• Please log in to reply

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hum....wasn't sure where to post this one so I stuck it here. I was on www.download.com and saw this program called "Active Webcam" I was wondering if there is a way to install a camera(s) in my house and be able to monitor them from my laptop anywhere? It doesn't matter what program, I just said Active Webcam because that is what sparked my interest.

Edited by leedownen123, 24 February 2007 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to read up on this.

http://www.deskshare...raremotely.aspx

http://www.webcamsof...n/watchdog.html

It works well if you are not trying to record the camera. Recording can be a nightmare and use a lot of space in a computer (1 to 2 gigs a day). Its easier to have a VCR setup for recording.

SRX660

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It said on that first article that I can live stream if my IP address starts with 192.xxx.xx.xx....Is there ANY type of deal that I can enable live streaming with, because I know my IP address starts with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi leedownen123,

Hey Boo, you'd better go back and read that all over again cause this is what it actually said;

Live streaming will not work on non routable IP addresses. A non routable IP address starts with 192.x.x.x. If you are not sure what type of IP address you have, you need to find out from your ISP or a network professional.

Just thought you might want to know.

Wendy

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
ah! I didn't check over what I meant to say. Yes I meant to say "It says I can't live stream if my IP address starts with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx"

sorry for the confusion

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi leedownen123,

Cool! I just wanted to make sure that you had understood what it had said BEFORE you invested ant time and money in the project and then found out that it wouldn't work.

♥ Wendy