Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random reboots

• Please log in to reply

MrCharlie

MrCharlie

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 170 posts
Hello everyone,
My 98se machine, every once in a while, reboots all by itself - it just shuts off then starts up again. It's an Abit BE6-II w/ a PIII -866. WD 20g hd. , 256megs of ram

Here's what I did so far:
Completely disassembled the computer and cleaned everything - cleaned all connections with alcohol - reassemled
Swapped out the memory
Problem is still there - I can't duplicate the problem by wiggling components etc.
I have lots of spare parts and some ideas left
Would like another opinion

Thanks, MrC

I should add it shuts off like you pulled the plug - then it goes through the startup cycle to boot up again.

Advertisements

Lorddias

Lorddias

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm not expert but this is just a thought, you sure its not overheating?

MrCharlie

MrCharlie

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 170 posts
No, it's not overheating - have checked that - runs nice and cool.

Thanks, MrC

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. Work your way through each potential cause to either rule it out or correct it. Open the case, clean out the dust bunnies and use some canned air to blow the dust out of the cpu fan and heat sink. Go into the bios and check the cpu temp once it boots up. You can also download speedfan (google for it, it is free) and use that to check temps. You can test the memory with memtesti86 (get it at http://www.memtest.org/ ). Driver issues are a little more difficult. Lastly, do not overlook the power supply as a cause. I would investigate all the others first, the power supply last. Here is a link to excellent information on power supplies. http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93 See the sticky posts at the top of the forum.